1Password: random password feature/ what to do when you want to login somewhere else?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I've been using 1Password as a replacement for Wallet as of now and the feature that lets you generate a random password looks very nice to me.

I use the same password everywhere which is quite unsafe. (however it's a really complicated password with lower caps, higher caps and numbers)

However, when I use the generate random password feature for each website I visit, how do I know which password I entered for a specific website when I want to log-in on that particular website with a different computer?

I won't be able to log-in then, right? (Seeing I can't remember hundreds of 20-character random passwords)

2. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You might want to read the section called "Synchronizing your 1Password Information" near the bottom of the 1Password website to get some information regarding syncing. I was taking part in a beta project they have called My1Password but it seems that they have pretty well made the decision to go another way which can be read about there.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If your other computer is a Mac that you control, you can use the Agile keychain feature (I use mine with my GetDropBox folder) (check this link). If it's a random computer you're sitting at then I suggest you export your 1Password entries to a web page which you can then copy to a thumbdrive or upload to your website if you have one. The webpage that gets generated is password protected by your 1Password master password. You can then access it wherever you are.

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

there is an App for iPhone or iPod touch . You can sync with your Mac and have all passwds with you

6. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Let's say I use 20 character passwords everywhere, the website suggestions above still seems faster, seeing I could copy/paste.

I guess I'm still going to stick to one password for everything ...