1Password vs KeePassX vs Keychain Access

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toronado455, Jul 23, 2011.

1. toronado455, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

toronado455 macrumors regular

Does 1Password auto-clear your clipboard?

That's one of the features of KeePass for Windows which I've used for years and am currently using version 2 which I think is great.

Need something for Mac OS and was going to try KeePassX but it is only in version 0.

So far I've played around with using the Keychain Access, but it seems overly complicated for what I want and doesn't seem to have features like auto-clearing the clipboard after a set amount of time, nor can you configure the columns the way I want to.

2. Guzzie, Jul 23, 2011

Guzzie macrumors newbie

Automatic clearing the clipboard isn't something you would need very frequently with 1Password; it comes with lots of browser plugins that will autofill the information (in webpages) for you when you want (with your master password of course).

However it does have it as a user configurable option in the
    Preferences > Security > Clipboard Security.
    You can set it to however many seconds you want it to wait before clearing.

1Password is really excellent software and the support is fantastic, can't recommend it enough. Nothing else comes close.

3. munkery, Jul 23, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Safari can be configured to auto-fill passwords into websites.

Safari uses Keychain for it's password management service so the keychain entries are automatically created for you by Safari when you choose to save the password.

To password protect the website credentials in Keychain:

Select "Ask for Keychain password" in the keychain entries Access Control pane.

You will now have to enter that keychain's password for the website credentials to be auto-filled into the webpage.

4. toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll stay with Keychain Access for now. I actually really like the password generator on it!