1Password

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by 3bs, Sep 9, 2011.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

What's the difference between the pro and the normal version? They're both not free. What does this app exactly do? Do I enter my username and password and then it creates a stronger password for me and saves it so I don't have to remember it? Or does it just save my passwords? I'm considering buying it for my mac and iPhone but it isn't cheap so I thought I'd ask here

2. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

One of my most used apps. Apart from storing your most important information, you can set it up to log into any forum. You enter a master password and from there 1password will log into any forums you have preprogrammed with your user names and passwords. Very handy when flitting around several forums without having to remember a load of passwords. Has become a major part of my iPad, iPhone and mac use

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

Only difference is that pro ($14.99 retail) is universal binary that runs on both iPhone and iPad whereas normal ($9.99 retail) only runs on either iPhone or iPad. To get the most out of 1Password, you will need the Mac version (and/or Windows if you are on Windows).

4. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Highly recommend 1Password.
    Been using it for over 6 months, have it sync with the Mac Version.
    Smooth, Powerful, yet Simple.

5. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Considering I don't own an iPad and probably never will, I'll go with the normal version.

6. evanrousso macrumors 6502

I have a question about this app. Do I have to have the $49.99 desktop software in order to sync my passwords to my desktop? It is frustrating having to re-enter all my passwords after an iPhone restore and it is even more frustrating paying $14.99 for an app just to find out that I may have to shell out another $49.99 for the desktop app in order to get any use out of it.

Any suggestions? I tried using Dropbox to sync but it looks like I need the desktop software for that as well.

FYI, I am using Windows 7 not OSX.

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you need the desktop version to sync your passwords with dropbox or your computer.

I got the iPhone app when it was first released for free just to store my passwords, but I've been wanting to sync them to my Mac or Dropbox, but I don't think it's worth the insane $50 they charge for the Desktop app.

I honestly don't know why their iOS apps are so expensive now for something that simply stores your passwords. I'm glad I didn't pay for the app since I downloaded it early on, but for a price of $10 that the app costs now, I'd at least expect some syncing functionality.

Thankfully I can backup my iPhone to iTunes and restore from backup on a new device without needing to sync to dropbox for instance.

8. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Expensive is a very relative term.

I'm not rich by any means, but i believe the desktop app is worth it, at least for me. I never have to type a password in my browser. They have an extension for most browsers. You just open the extension up, navigate to the websites name in that extension and it does everything for you.

The sync between iPhone app and my 1Password on all my Macs is very smooth and painless. I used SplashData before, also not bad, but 1Password has a gorgeous UI.

9. tj2001 macrumors regular

Best in its Class

1Password is hands down the best in its class; seamless usability, simple and intuitive, secure, and syncing between devices is well worth every dollar the developer asks for. I've been using 1Password before it was even 1Password, used to be called 1Passwd if my memory serves me right.

I wouldn't trade it for any other similar app to replace it, just my input.

10. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yes you need the desktop app to sync to your Mac but not to back up to Dropbox if that is all you want. But the desktop app is where it is most powerful. Setting and storing strong passwords and holding cc info encrypted an synced to your iPhone is awesome.

For anyone who struggles to remember passwords or uses the same password or weak passwords for day to day Internet uses this app is a must have in todays world.

11. pettifogger06 macrumors member

I feel like this will benefit my life, I just do not understand how. If anyone has the patience to sell this thing to me, I'd appreciate it.

So it stores passwords, more consistently than my browsers already do? And it will cost me 65 bucks total? I must be missing something.

12. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Some ideas, based on how I've used it...

1. I got nervous about using the same password for everything. So I made up new (and a bit harder) passwords for different websites.

2. I used the "generate password" feature of 1Password to generate really strong passwords for all banking sites.

3. Even though my browser stores them too, I'm frequently away from my computer (at my parent's house, sister's house, friend's house, etc) and use 1password on my iPhone to be able to log into websites where I don't have those tough passwords memorized.

4. I use it to log into websites directly onto my iphone.

5. I store important information into the Secure Notes section - things like my kids' and wife's social security numbers, my frequent flyer numbers, my hotel membership account numbers, etc. Having my macbook and iphone always sync'd ensures I can always pull up this info when I need it.

6. I store software license keys and other info in the Software section. I've needed to look up license keys and it's now a breeze because I know exactly where to go.

I've found it to be a very ELEGANT solution and love it. I used to use SplashID way back in the day and found it more clunky. My wife used to use Roboform on the PC before we converted her to Mac, and I hated that one.

Good luck.

13. kalex macrumors 65816

1password is a good. But i ended up switching to lastpass. I bought the desktop app and also bought ios app. But I ran into a problem where I was still using windows and I use android as a phone. Back then there were no apps for windows and android. I emailed developer and got a reply back along the lines of "we are apple developers and no plans for other oses". Oh well, I voted with my wallet and ended up switching to lastpass. migration was fairly easy and lastpass does provide a way to import but I went manual way and ended up changing passwords with lastpass on all the sites i had stored in 1password. Now I'm fairly happy with lastpass and don't miss 1password. 1Password was and still is pretty but when I use multiple devices prettiness quickly falls behind usability.

14. pettifogger06 macrumors member

Thanks. People love it, so I may ultimately give it a shot.

15. tj2001, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

tj2001 macrumors regular

Essentially take the task, storing passwords, then develop an app that does that with ease, power, functionality, and purpose and you have 1Password. I can't begin to tell you I'd be out or on another computer and needed my login info for a site… then shazam, fire up my 1Password iPhone app and taaaa-daaaa!

All of these positive responses your getting on here can't be wrong :)

16. marc11 macrumors 68000

For me I removed all passwords from my browser and removed the auto log in too. I used 1password to generate new strong passwords for every log in I have. This way all passwords are strong and unique. I use the auto login function and safari plug in of 1password to log me to sites when I visit them and log out when I leave. Not sure why but I never trusted a browser to keep my passwords safe. Plus if one of my kids gets to my unlocked computer or a visiting friend or whomever they cannot get any password or access to any login protected site on my computer without knowing my 1password password.

I also use it to store items like credit cards, license keys, had encrypt keys etc. with the iPad and iPhone option if I ever need this data I have it even if my pc crashes and as I see it, even if someone steals my Mac they need to crack file vault or crack my password to get to my data and then they need to crack my 1password password to get access to any of my important logins.

Add to this I use Googles authenticate and I feel safer about my passwords than ever before.

17. murdoc158 macrumors regular

I've got 1Password on my Macbook Pro and on my Windows desktop at work. I've got everything synced via Dropbox folder. Will 1Password for iPhone sync with dropbox as well? What's the process for this? From my understanding you still have to open the 1Password app on the iphone and copy/paste your login info to the browser/app. Is that still the case or has something changed?

18. marc11, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

marc11 macrumors 68000

Yes it will. If you have your desktop set to use dropbox you can set your iOS app to use it as well. It is automatic and the desktop app nor browser needs to be open. 1password will automatically login to Dropbox if you have its login credentials stored in the app. It is all very seamless. If you use wifi sync the desktop app has to be running to sync.

19. murdoc158 macrumors regular

Don't use wifi sync, but good to see all I have to do is have the dropbox credentials in the app. Will be buying.

20. big samm macrumors 65816

1password is one of the apps i use everyday! Secure reliable and syncs across all my idevices and mac via dropbox!

21. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

I concur with kalex. Lastpass has worked great for me between my various computers (both pc and mac) and my iPhone. The price is free when using it just on your computers.