1px permanently white at fixed location on screen (but not dead pixel)???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mke, Apr 26, 2007.

1. mke macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I have an... odd... problem.

I bought a new cinema display today. Happily, I hooked it up. Unhappily, I noted it had a dead "hot pixel" - a permanently white pixel at the bottom left corner of the screen.

Rearranging my screen layout such that the new cinema display was to the right of my powerbook's built-in LCD (as opposed to above it previously) *removed* the dead pixel.

Playing around some more I found out that the dead pixel is screenshottable, and moves along with the placement of the cinema display relative to my main display.

In other words, it's not a dead pixel, but obviously a software problem.

Perhaps it's a 1px * 1px application that "hides" itself by moving a negative amount of pixels off the screen and is now being picked up since my monitor occupies this screen area?

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

mke

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it hide behind any apps or any specific colours?

3. mke thread starter macrumors newbie

It hides below the mouse pointer, but it's above _everything_ else. I tried with a fair few programs and it's always on-top. I tried PiXeL Check 1.2 and it's even above that thing's colour display.

And yeah, it shows up white over every colour background.

Edit: It's at an absolute pixel loc of about (0,-30) or so, relative to the main display - so just above the Menu bar at the far left.

4. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I know this might sound stupid, but you try restarting?

5. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Bizarre. It sounds like possibly a faulty memory address or something on your video card.

I occasionally get a small cluster of 4 or so white pixels near my Trash in the Dock. This appears to be a Quartz or driver bug, since it's intermittent and has occurred on both my Macs.

6. mke thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a faulty memory address for sure :) It doesn't show up under any other users on the machine apart from mine, and it only appears about 2-3 seconds after logging in (then of course stays until I log out.)