1st apple have ? to avoid masses at apple store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vfr, Mar 8, 2011.

1. vfr macrumors newbie

Is it worth it to wait inline at the apple store for the ipad 2 or should I just buy an ipad 2 at target or walmart on friday? I'm leaning towards the latter but may not understand the whole scheme of things.

I'm not sure what all the setup entails. Have no apple stuff so I'm not sure what the details are. I didn't even know you had to ACTIVATE the darn thing before it would work. That's just crazy.

How hard is it to activate it yourself? Can you do it with a PC?

2. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Likely iOS 5.0 coming this summer (it will be a free upgrade to the iPad 2) will eliminate the need to activate the iPad with a computer out of the box, but for now you need to activate it with any PC or Mac that has iTunes installed. It takes less than 2 minutes with the included USB cable.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it doesn't matter where you buy it from, its going to be the same iPad everywhere, but some go to the Apple store for the "Experience" and I personally only buy my Apple product from the Apple Store.

Activating only requires that when you open the box for the first time (this will be done at home), plug in your iPad to your computer and open iTunes (download the newest version beforehand to speed up the process, iTunes 10.2 is already available). Once iTunes has turned on and recognized your iPad, the activation process takes 2-5 seconds.

After the activation is done, you can choose to register your iPad for warranty purposes or you can skip this step (it can be register at a later time) and that's it.

then sync your media is you choose to or just use iTunes Home Sharing (a feature in iOS 4.3).

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Source?

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    He's just assuming. "likely"

I think he may be a bit too optimistic. iOS devices have been tied to a computer since 2007 (and iPods since 2001). You can't be so sure that will happen with iOS 5

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Question is what kind of stock are the 3rd party stores going to have. I'd much rather not go to the Apple store. But consider how many of these 3rd party stores there are across the country. Apple can't supply them all with even a paltry 25 of each model. Combined there are over 2500 locations b/t those two stores alone -- add in WM and Sams yourself. 25each x18 models would be over 1m total units just to 3rd party stores. See my point?

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

you stole the words right out of my mouth.

8. King Luis macrumors 6502

when i was waiting for my iphone 4, i called to see if places had stock which was most likely the issue. ipad 2 may be different.

if there is a line, i'd walk right by because theres no point of wasting hours in a line when you can go a couple days later and not wait in a line.

9. hi res macrumors member

hi res

There is a point...that's the only way to get an iPad on Friday. If you want one Friday you're going to have to wait or hope they don't sell out before you get there. That's the point.