1st Gen $219 VS Series 1 $299 Worth the $80 difference?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Royksöpp, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

I've been reading a lot that Watch OS 3 has been a pleasant upgrade. Do you guys think the new processor is enough to warrant the 80 dollar difference? I'm buying from Bestbuy.

2. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

It probably depends on what you're doing and how hard you are going to push it. My 0 is still adequate but would 50% faster be nice? Sure. Am I going to upgrade from 0 to 1? No. I'd rather get the fully new 2 with waterproofing and GPS.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

50% faster is for the 2. The 1 will probobly be somewhere in between the 0 and the 2.

Subjective but I would probably y just get the 0 if not getting the 2 and save the money. Of course if buying now I would only want the 2.

4. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

It's the same CPU...

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...but different GPU and other chips that will slow down the throughput.

6. Fuxton macrumors newbie

I would go ahead and buy a series 0 from Best Buy and see how you like it. They are really easy with their returns! If you feel it isn't up to par just go ahead and return it and buy a new one!

7. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Yeah true. I fell into the Apple PR machine. Lol. Totally agree with your advice- 0 or 2 for me.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Based on my use of my Series 0 with Watch OS3 AND seeing some of the speed tests posted here and elsewhere, I'd say pocket the $ and get the Series 0 over the 1 and use toward the Series 3 next year. The Series 1 is faster but we are talking a few seconds for most apps and also you can put your key apps in Instant Launch. $80 (A bit more than 35% more $) for just a faster processor isn't worth the coin IMHO.

9. Aquamite macrumors regular

Aquamite

The GPU isn't gonna make the CPU work slower. The only difference is that animations will be less fancy and will have a lower framerate.

10. Julien, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Keep in mind Apple was carful to list the 2 as 50% faster while Ignoring the 1. :D

11. Aquamite macrumors regular

Aquamite

The 80$ difference is worth as long as Series 1 will probably keep receiving updates at least one year after the 1st Gen gets behind.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

But the Series 0 isn't going to be obsoleted by Apple next year and I would hope the Series 3 is going to be a significant update both is features and style. Neither the Series 0, 1, or 2 are keepers. In a year or two using them will be like using an original iPhone in 2010.

13. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

14. enabledapps macrumors newbie

Thanks for that link, I hope people stop saying that the GPU is not upgraded in Series 1. The relevant part of the above press release is:

"Apple Watch Series 1 is available in lightweight aluminum and combines the new powerful dual-core processor and GPU with all the incredible features of the original Apple Watch, making it up to 50 percent faster and available to even more customers, starting at just $269 (US)."

15. Julien, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you read the link you posted under Advanced Technology you will see it clearly states that the new GPU is in the S2 chip and doesn't say it is in the S1, which means it isn't.

EDIT: Farther down it does say that the 1 is 50% faster so I stand corrected. Not sue why Apple only said the series 2 at the event.

Caveat: It says UP to 50% and not 50% like the 2.

16. enabledapps macrumors newbie

I think that may be because the press release is specifically about the Series 2, not the Series 1. Therefore, they didn't discuss it in that section. They do add a blurb about the Apple Watch lineup including information on the Series 1 further down the page.

"Apple Watch Series 1 is available in lightweight aluminum and combines the new powerful dual-core processor and GPU with all the incredible features of the original Apple Watch, making it up to 50 percent faster and available to even more customers, starting at just $269 (US)."

17. Royksöpp thread starter macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

I preordered the Series 2 and I got the Delay Email with the $50 gift card. If I use it towards the Series 1 It will be $264.00. I don't think that's bad at all. The gift card seemed to work just fine.

Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 6.21.01 AM copy.png

18. christ0pher macrumors newbie

After watching the speed test between the series 0 and series 2, I've decided to get a second hand 42mm SS series 0 off of eBay. They're selling for approx. $400 AUD (give or take) which is around $300 USD. While the new 42mm SS series 2 watches are selling for $880 AUD which is approx. $660 USD. I figured I'd save a bit of money, and put it towards the new series 3 watch when it's released.

I told myself, when gen 1 came out, that I'd wait for gen 2. I managed to wait, but now I'm telling myself I'll wait for gen 3, haha!

19. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

But, is the Series 1 what you REALLY want?
    I'm on the fence between the Series 1 and Series II. I've since ordered the II, due for delivery in Oct, late. And, I have a Series I ready for collection at Best Buy...

20. Aquamite macrumors regular

Aquamite

That argument doesn't make any sense. Of course next model will be better but we are talking about models available today. Today you can buy a model that is 1 and 1/2 years old or a better one for a price difference of 80$ that would make you sure the Watch will last at least 1 years longer than the 1st gen if you'd buy it now. And also it'll be faster. There's just nothing to discuss here.

21. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

If you plan on keeping this watch for a few years, get the Series 1. The upgraded S1P chip will ensure you won't get left behind if/when more demanding apps/features start rolling out in the years to come. If you are going to upgrade to a Series 3, save your money and get a Series 0.

That's my take on it.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It does't make sense IF you are going to keep the watch you buy today for a long time -- but if that were the case then neither a Series 0 or 2 makes much sense. My sense is that people here have a much higher interest in tech than those that don't peruse tech sites. This demographic typically upgrades at a much faster rate than the non-tech hobbyists. So to buy a Series 1 watch today makes zero sense if the likelihood of upgrading is withing one or two years. The Series 1 just is not that significant of an upgrade over Series 0. Series 1 doesn't even have the wake on up crown feature of the Series 2.

I have a Series 0 with Watch OS 3. I struggled with Watch OS 1 and 2 because of it's slowness. Watch OS 3 makes Series 0 almost on par with Series 1. Yes, Series 1 is faster but we are talking a few seconds IF the app isn't in the Instant Launch. My AW experience is that it's not like an iPhone or iPad where you have multiple apps you use. Since it's a watch there is maybe 6 "go to" everyday apps. Those can be in Instant Launch making loading even faster.

23. Aquamite macrumors regular

Aquamite

The update rate of people here doesn't count as you still got a year more out of the Series 1 if you buy the Watch today and you don't have a 1st Gen. The point is buying the 1st Gen today to save 80$ makes no sense.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The update rate of the people here doesn't matter -- correct. The only update rate that matters is the buyer's. And my point is that if he/she is thinking about upgrading next year -- next year -- then saving 35% at the expensive of a slight increase in speed is worth it.

If the buyer is going to keep it 3 years then sure, buying a faster watch makes sense.

25. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

1. Apple will not drop support for the series 0 watch for years.
    2. If the main difference between 1 & 2 is the GPS and sceeen brightness I would go with 2.
    3. What will the standalone GPS apps be like in 2. The developers haven't had the opportunity to test the framework yet.
    4. Apple wants us to buy a new watch every year.
    Spend what one can afford and not wish one had purchased the 2 instead.