1st Gen 3.0Ghz Octo vs 2nd Gen 3.0Ghz Octo Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by EricTheRed71, Jun 20, 2008.

1. EricTheRed71 macrumors member

Hi chaps & chapesses...

what are the differences between the 1st generation 3.0Ghz octo Mac Pro and the 2nd generation 3.0Ghz octo Mac Pro?

How would the 1st gen octo Mac Pro compare to a dual 2.66Ghz Mac Pro of the same era & how does it compare speedwise to the current 2.8Ghz octo?

There is a repected dealer in Germany selling the 1st gen octos as refurb units for a tempting price but unless they are equal to the current 2.8 then I'll pass.

Thoughts?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Check this website for speed results. Though it doesn't actually include the 3.0 Ghz Harpertown, you can infer the speed of it from the 2.8 and 3.2's speed results.

The newer machines are significantly faster in some areas (such as video editing) with four more cores to throw at the problem. For other things, such as gaming, eight cores doesn't really do anything for you right now.

A first gen octo would be pretty fast compared to the 2.66 GHz machine, but only if your software takes advantage of the extra cores. It'd be roughly on par with the 2.8 GHz Harpertown.

3. EricTheRed71 thread starter macrumors member

cheers.

I'm using my current 2.66GHz Mac Pros (we have 6, all the same) for 3dsmax (under x64) which definitely uses all the cores when rendering. Maxing it out to 16GB is cheap as chips so enough RAM for all the cores is not a problem. I read somewhere about the bus speed maybe being a bottleneck but for our uses the RAM is needed gradually rather than in quick bursts.

The octo on offer is approx. 700€ less than a new 2.8 GHz & less than half the price of a new 3.0Ghz... for this money I can pack it with RAM & still be in pocket.

A good deal?

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That does sound like a pretty good deal right now; around $1000 US, which is almost a third of the price of the Mac Pro here. I'd go for it. :)