1st gen 32gb or 2nd gen 16gb

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by twigss, Jan 16, 2009.

1. twigss macrumors newbie

My girlfriend is getting me a touch for my birthday in about a month. I have been looking around and I have narrowed my choices to either the 32gb 1st gen or the 16gb 2nd gen. My library of music is about 18gb, but surely I don't need all of it on my touch at once.

I'm more worried about space for movies and the speed increase of loading apps/browsing with wifi. Is there a really significant upgrade in these categories to warrant the loss of space for movies and the rest of my mp3s?

The speaker doesn't concern me much(although I can see its use for youtube/internet/apps), nor does the form changes.

As for uses, I would mainly use it at work as a regular MP3 player, using around the house with the wifi, and occasional use at college between classes.

2. solmaker macrumors member

IMO the 2G is head-and-shoulders better than the 1G. Noticeably zippier because of its faster processor, better battery life, and the speaker would be hard to give up now that I have it. I recently upgraded and passed my 1G to my dad. I'd also consider getting the 32Gb 2G if you can afford it. I almost got the 16Gb but I'm glad I got the 32GB instead.

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I never use the speaker and i put a 1g and 2g touch both 8gb opening a program at the same time and didnt notice it and they seemed the same so its up to you

4. FatalShot macrumors newbie

1G for Jailbreak. No doubt about it.

But a 2G Jailbreak is supposed to be coming very soon so, go figure.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Go for the first gen. You will like the extra space later. :) It can never hurt to have music videos with you.

6. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

2G..for the volume button alone.

Besides, why buy outdated hardware?

7. guitarizt macrumors newbie

I'm not using the volume buttons on my 2g as much as I thought I'd be. It's a must have for me since it makes adjusting the volume easy after the ipod's already locked and I don't feel like turning the screen back on.

Also it would suck not having the speaker now that I have it. I had no idea how much I'd like and use it.

8. Manikstor macrumors member

Get the 1G man trust me since u said u have no use for the speaker 1g is the way to go you can jailbreak it and no ur not buying an outdated sodtware u can upgrade to 2.2 which is not necessary unless u wanna use the cool app ot has

9. cash4chaos macrumors member

cash4chaos

2nd gen no question

Games , speaker apps ! 2 nd gen all the way

10. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

redsn0w will be released imminently and you'll have a jailbroken 2nd gen. Trust me, if you buy the 1st gen, you will quickly hate not having a volume button when the iPod is in your pocket.

11. nopassn macrumors regular

The 2G is just all around better than my 1G was (not that it had problems, the 2G is just better.) I'm also in agreement with others about the speaker - I didn't think I'd use it much or at all, never really needed one with my 1G, but now that I've got it, I wouldn't go without it. I'd give up the 16gigs of space if it meant the difference between a 1g and 2g touch.

Oh, and the volume on the side is UBER handy, and it's stiff enough that a casual bump in your pocket wont crank the volume on you - well thought out, well designed and executed, IMO.