1st gen Apple Watch vs. Series 1 - Battery Life

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I just got my 1st gen Apple Watch replaced via Apple Care+, as its battery was dying and I barely made it through the day anymore. A 30-minute workout would kill it before bedtime.

However:
The replacement watch Apple sent me is a Series 1. Thanks :)
Now, after the first full day (no workout), I still have 83% battery left, about 4 hours before bedtime, so it probably won't get to below 75% today.
Even though I played with the watch today.

This is considerably more than I had anticipated (given that the Series 1 is so much faster than the original), and a lot - a great lot - more than the original watch was able to deliver when it was new.

The watch is running WatchOS 4.2.

I'm a very, very happy customer right now! :D

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I just got my 1st gen Apple Watch replaced via Apple Care+, as its battery was dying and I barely made it through the day anymore. A 30-minute workout would kill it before bedtime.

However:
Now, after the first full day (no workout), I still have 83% battery left, about 4 hours before bedtime, so it probably won't get to below 75% today.

This is considerably more than I had anticipated (given that the Series 1 is so much faster than the original), and a lot - a great lot - more than the original watch was able to deliver when it was new.

And with the improved S1P dual core processor, you will appreciate the difference in speed with the Series 1. And that's where the first Gen Apple Watch struggled.

LaoBron

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2016
That’s great that Apple upgraded you to S1. AppleCare is worth it for the watch

ad931

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Athens, Greece

However:

Similar battery results with my S1, i use my watch a lot for making calls, email notifications etc, its 13 hours off the charger and its at 84%, i can get virtually two days off a full charge, I'm very happy

cheezypuffs

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Slightly older post but would like to comment with a question...

I just got a series 1 yesterday. When I unboxed it and turned it on, it was dead which I thought was unusual.... So, as I set it up, it was charging. I waited until it was at 100%, and took it off, began wearing it.
That was about 7or 8pm last night. Wore it until about 2am, then put it back on before work at bout 8:30am. Right now, about 4:15pm, the watch is at 58%. So, about 14 hours on my wrist, and about 7 hours sitting on my nightstand, and it's dropped to 58%.

Is this a reasonable drain for an S1? I'm just concerned something is wrong with the battery... every other iDevice I've bought comes with the battery pre-charged. Too early to worry?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Slightly older post but would like to comment with a question...

I just got a series 1 yesterday. When I unboxed it and turned it on, it was dead which I thought was unusual.... So, as I set it up, it was charging. I waited until it was at 100%, and took it off, began wearing it.
That was about 7or 8pm last night. Wore it until about 2am, then put it back on before work at bout 8:30am. Right now, about 4:15pm, the watch is at 58%. So, about 14 hours on my wrist, and about 7 hours sitting on my nightstand, and it's dropped to 58%.

Is this a reasonable drain for an S1? I'm just concerned something is wrong with the battery... every other iDevice I've bought comes with the battery pre-charged. Too early to worry?
It’s always difficult to measure battery life given how the watch is used, applications, etc.

My Suggestion would be to re-pair the Apple Watch with your iPhone, (Or) you can conduct a hard reset on your Apple Watch my holding on the digital crown and power button for approximately 10 seconds, which can help clear glitches. Also, Apple can conduct a free battery test with the Apple Watch over the phone or in store.