1st Gen Cracked Screen, Warranty Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surfer99, Jul 27, 2008.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Quick question, my 1st gen 16gb iPhone just got a hairline crack in the glass all the way at the top of the screen where the black part is near the earpiece. It doesnt even affect the part of the screen that you use to view the display itself, and with my cover on it completely covers the small crack. My question is this, if something were to happen (battery failure, speaker stop working, headphone jack wont work, etc) is my warranty now completed void because of the small little crack or would I be able to get a refurb if something were wrong with my iPhone that didnt have anything to do with the small crack? Oh and before everyone says get a case, I had a case on it but I guess it just didnt help enough. Thanks in advanced for the replies.

2. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

It really depends on if they notice the crack. My phone was cracked to oblivion and they said there's nothing they can do, even though it still worked. They did, however, say I could pay $250 to replace it. I said, "I heard the new iPhone is supposed to be cheaper and coming out in a couple months," (this way in may) and they were just like "We don't know anything about it." lolz. I'm glad I waited.

Anyways, if it's really tiny tiny tiny they might not care but if it looks like it could be the source of the problem, they will.

I'm just glad I didn't get that many shards of glass in my face before the 3G came out. Cause it's been a pretty painful experience to use.

3. aosman macrumors 6502

I would say the same thing: if they don't notice it, your warranty would still be valid. If they do notice it, they probably will want to charge you $250 to fix it (def. not worth it)

4. Hungryapple125 macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and found a hairline crack from the corner to the bottom. I brought my phone to the genius bar and explained what happened and that my phone was never dropped etc. The woman was very nice and understanding, she talked with her manager and told me that apple would give me a new phone because of the crack, she said they would not be replacing spider cracked phones. So be nice, explain your situation, and you should be able to get a new phone. Hope this helped.

5. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies. As much as I would like to have a perfect iPhone it doesn't bother me that much so I probably won't do anything about it. The crack is def noticable if you look closely or you touch the glass near the top of the phone, or if I just kept the case on but i'm sure that if I brought it in for something they would immediatly take the case off. As crazy as it seems I would probably pay to get the glass fixed if something were wrong with my phone and they said that was the only way to get it fixed because I really like the way the 1st gen looks vs the 3g and I personally have never had any problems with speed. Also if anyone has any more input I would enjoy hearing it. Thanks again