Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

On a new phone model do you prefer 1st gen or 2nd gen?

• 1st Gen: I prefer the exciting new designs of a first gen model

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • 2nd Gen: I prefer to wait for a more refined and less problematic "S" model

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I buy them all!

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
I think we've seen enough iPhones to call out the pattern they've established. The 1st gen of a new body (3G, 4, 5) tends to have an exciting and new design but can also be a bit lacking in quality or some features while the 2nd gen of a new body (3GS, 4G, 5G?) tend to be the same "boring" design but more refined, less problematic and drastically improved over their predecessor.

With 2yr contracts keeping us on a schedule then I'm wondering what everyone prefers. New and sparkly vs Old and time-tested.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Great idea for a thread. I've always gotten the first iterations starting with 3G. Then 4. Now 5.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Great idea for a thread. I've always gotten the first iterations starting with 3G. Then 4. Now 5.
Has that worked out for you? I'm actually on the other end of the upgrade cycle with 3GS and 4S and I always go through a year of irrational jealousy.

It's nice to avoid things like terrible cameras (3G) or antenna issues (4) but that doesnt stop me from starting to despise my perfect "S" model. And even though the 5 isnt out yet, even just the side by side screenshots are already making my 4S feel "old" in comparison.

Seriously, how am I supposed to live with this tiny screen for another year?!?! :D
2012-09-12iphone5hands-5_gallery_post_gallery_post.jpeg

Last edited:

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Has that worked out for you? I'm actually on the other end of the upgrade cycle with 3GS and 4S and I always go through a year of irrational jealousy.

It's nice to avoid things like terrible cameras (3G) or antenna issues (4) but that doesnt stop me from starting to despise my perfect "S" model. And even though the 5 isnt out yet, even just the side by side screenshots are already making my 4S feel "old" in comparison.

Seriously, how am I supposed to live with this tiny screen for another year?!?! :D
2012-09-12iphone5hands-5_gallery_post_gallery_post.jpeg

Haha. Which is why I get the first version. Even with any issues (my iPhone 4 worked from Day 1 without antennagate... true story), I prefer waiting through the upgrade year. I love it this way.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I said I buy them all but it's been weird for me. Started with 3G on contract, bought a friends 3Gs during the last half of it's first year, bought the 4 on contract during launch month, bought 4s off contract month after launch. Buying 5 on contract. Now that they don't have the yearly upgrades (which I really didn't use anyway) I'll probably stick with the 1st gen new designs.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
The iPhone 3G was more lackluster than the 4 and 5.. .the 3G had the same hardware as the original iPhone asides for the 3G radio. The 3GS was the real upgrade there.

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 at least both represent proper upgrades over their predecessors. The 4S was probably the most overwhelming so far for me. And the 4 was probably the best upgrade IMO - a ton of new features (retina display being the big one), great new design, and a nice A4 SOC.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Haha. Which is why I get the first version. Even with any issues (my iPhone 4 worked from Day 1 without antennagate... true story), I prefer waiting through the upgrade year. I love it this way.
Thats the opportunity I have. I got a 4S but for some reason Sprint still says im eligible for upgrade so Im considering a switch to the 1st gen side of the upgrade cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.