Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

1st gen iPad and Remote app?

dime21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I've got a 1st gen iPad running iOS 5.1.1 the latest available for this device. When I try to install the Remote app from the App Store it won't let me, it says iOS 7 is required. How can I install Remote on this iPad? There must be a way aside from tossing the iPad in the trash and buying a newer model.

Thanks

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Why would you toss your perfectly fine working iPad into the trash simply because it isn't equipped to handle that app?

alex6422

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
I totally feel you. I have a first gen iPad and there are so many apps I am unable to download! So frustrating!! I still don't know of a way to work around it.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Why would you toss your perfectly fine working iPad into the trash simply because it isn't equipped to handle that app?
I don't *want* to. It is just a machine after all, and a machine that doesn't do what its owner wants is no longer a useful machine. Unfortunately.

I totally feel you. I have a first gen iPad and there are so many apps I am unable to download! So frustrating!! I still don't know of a way to work around it.
So this is an artificial constraint it seems, imposed on us by Apple. That isn't a very friendly way to treat customers of a premium product. I've not been very impressed by Apple's policies lately.

chrisnova777

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
ive been using my ipad 1st gen with a video player called "AV Player HD" and it works great over the network + playing files copied to the ipad directly over wifi..

other uses that are worthwhile:
facebook app seems to work still
google chrome browser works ok for me
ibooks works ok for me to read my pdf files + ebooks
itunes works ok for playing music

these uses are semi-ok
but it would be alot better if i could use the ipad as both a second monitor + touch interface
anyone know of an app for ios 5.1.1 that would allow me to do so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.