Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astonish_IT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a 1st Gen iPad Pro 12,9 inch 128 gb Wifi and Cellular. It is starting to show it’s age on more demanding tasks such as photo post processing, 3d modelling on shapr3d..etc. It works, but the waiting times are increasing. Or else on Clip Studio Paint, with big brushes, there are some noticeable lag, but it is still pretty fine for sketching and the lag on big brushes with 0 hardness is not unbearable yet.

I wanted to upgrade to the 2020 iPad Pro models, but i am still not sure if i am convinced with the update or if i would wait for the A14x version.

Having said that, the battery of my iPad Pro isnt in a very good state anymore, especialy with high brightness (i need a bit more brightness because with the matte screen protector, the screen looks a bit more dim.. ) the battery is consumed like a big American V8 drinks fuel.. lol. Then it is normal, i mean i have been using it for 4 years almost and there has even been times that i didn’t touch the ipad for 2-3 months (had to 3d model and had no time to sketch or fun) with 0 battery, and most probably it took it’s toll as well, on the battery.

So I was thinking about having the battery of my iPad Pro changed with a fresh one, wait for the next iPad model or till it becomes annoying to work on it that i would need an upgrade and then when i upgrade, may be keep this as a second screen for Side Car or even to use with my new iPad Pro (like to put on inspiration photos..etc while sketching.) Because Italian Apple store (i live in Italy) is offering 180 euros of trade in value for my iPad Pro that i feel like it is not worth it to give it to the trade in where everything else, apart from the battery, is working fine with it. I mean it would still be very useful as a media consumption device in the future.

Here’s my question. I’ve read that Apple doesn’t swap the batteries but instead they give refurbished model. I am ok with that, but in Italy I see that they don’t have any refurbished 12.9 model, so instead they would give me a 10.5 model? It is a no go for me as i like the real estate of this device. And in case they find a 1st gen refurbished 12.9, would it be matching my 128 gb cellular+wifi or it can even be 64gb wifi? I don’t have Apple Care and even if i had, it would be long expired till now, so i am not able to ask to the apple support and I don’t have an Apple Store in my city, so i wanted to ask you if you guys have an experience with it.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.