1st gen iPhone and 2.1 firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tbone7467, Sep 12, 2008.

1. tbone7467 macrumors regular

I have been hearing alot about how the new firmware is doing this and that better for the 3g iPhone, Which is good they had some issues they needed fixed. What is it doing for the 1st gen Users? I havent noticed any real diffrence. it still lags going into SMS. The signal still fades in an out really badly in places that had great signal before the new iPhone hit the market. Im just not sure what my excitement should be for....

2. moka macrumors 6502a

works like a charm for me, never had a big issue before and it seems to function faster after the upgrade

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Signal seems better, calls are better, SMS is better...

Overall it's been pleasant for me.

4. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

my main issue was related to Safari crashes, and that hasn't happened yet (online for about an hour).

Incidentally, posting from my iPhone was painfully slow, with lots of lag but so far, absolutely no lag:).

I am hoping the improvements I am experiencing aren't temporary.

Jude

5. tbone7467 thread starter macrumors regular

I have recently noticed a bug of sorts, Im sure it has been there for a while. Sometimes when I get SMS messages. Ill go to reply to the person and it will be someone else text in the area so I end up sending replys to the wrong person. I know that doesnt make sense but let me explain.

Ill be sending a message to person A. Ill get out of SMS do some other things Ill get a message from person b. when I reply to person b sometimes it will put me in the SMS screen to reply to person b but it will be person a's text messages im replying to. the only reason I figured out it wasnt me this time is that is i looked at the screen closely and had only sent person b 1 message and I noticed multiple messages now. upon further looking it was messages I sent to person A. annoying is the least of it. hahaha i have said the wrong thing to a few people thanks to this.

6. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

you didn't actually send it to anyone else. give it some time and it will eventually sort back out. seems to be a bug that it shows that it sent to another person.

7. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

Before the 3G rollout I would get 3 bars in my house with OK Edge. After I got 1 bar and lots of dropped calls and voicemail delays of up to half an hour. With 2.1 I'm up to 2 bars and no longer dropped calls but now I notice my Edge seems really slow (anybody else see this?). Guess it's time for me to call AT$T again and have them tell me I have to call from some other phone (my cell is my only phone) in order for them to help me.

Another quirkiness I've seen is sometimes it seems like my phone is in a deep sleep. I'll have to push the Home button several times to get a screen up and then it takes a bit for the finger slide works. Don't see this all the time but it's worrisome.

Good to see the lags in SMS and Contacts is gone though. Still not back to 1.1.4 speed but I'm pretty happy.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

2.1 is the next best thing to 1.1.4. My wife and daughter have 1st gen iPhones (my daughter has my old phone since my 3G purchase) and I've upgraded both to 2.1. Seem to be doing quite well without signal strength issues, though my wife says she periodically gets delayed voice mail.

9. tbone7467 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah unfortunately is has sent to the wrong person. person A usually says HUH?? when the message should have went to Person B

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I've only had a couple of problems, but it has more to do with the hacks... :eek:

:D

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So far for me, I haven't really noticed much of a difference with 2.1. I didn't have many problems before it, so I guess that's why.

12. 3kids macrumors regular

My phone has started freezing up now, but before it would just crash. :rolleyes: The freezing is worse, I think. Especially bad on txt message. That seems to induce the most freezes. That had never happened before the upgrade to 2.1

13. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

2.1 infused my 1G iPhone with new vigor. Love that stuff!

14. ebony macrumors regular

Whilst I am the first to admit 2.1 is a vast improvement over 2.0, 2.01 and 2.02, it is still a joke compared to 1.1.4.

I get lag selecting contacts, sms, settings, even the phone app.

I have tested 2.1 on two 1st gen iphones and a 3g iphone and get the same performance from all 3.

Its crazy I hit contacts, the contact names appear and then I have to wait 2 seconds before I can scroll them. Selecting settings can take between 2 to 4 seconds before appearing.

1.1.4 was responsive and stable
    2.0, 2.01 and 2.02 was non responsive and very unstable
    2.1 is non responsive and stable

2.1 for me is a downgrade when compared with 1.1.4. :(

15. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

I had an irritating experience with mail a couple of times today.

1. I pressed the Delete=Key once, but Mail kept going and deleted the entire text.
    2. I deleted a letter and continued tipping. After two seconds Mail started deleting with my finger nowhere near the Delete-Key.

:confused:

Only had this problem today.

16. n0de macrumors 6502

17. 3kids macrumors regular

This started happening to me after the upgrade the time before the current one. I hate it!