1st gen iPhone be used after upgrading to me 3g iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mokeiko, Oct 19, 2008.

1. mokeiko macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I upgraded from a 1st gen iPhone to a 3g iPhone. I want to restore the 1st gen iPhone and completely wipe out the existing data. My problem is that I might not be able to use it after that since iTunes has to activate it before I can use it. I want to use it as an iPod and gaming device. Is this possible? Thanks for any help.

Note: the title was supposed to say 1st gen iPhone be used after upgrading to NEW 3g iPhone. Not sure how to edit subject, sorry for that.

mokeiko

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You can use QuickPwn to jailbreak it and activate it - and if you unlock, you could also use it as a non-contract phone. See the hacks section for detailed info on how to do everything you need.

3. mokeiko thread starter macrumors 6502

Can 1st gen iPhone be used after upgrading to new 3g iPhone without unlock/Jailbreak?

Is there a way of using it without unlocking or jailbreaking it? This is what happened, I went into AT&T and upgraded two (2) phones to a 3G iPhone. One was the original 1st gen iPhone and the other was a Blackberry Curve. The AT&T rep. took out two new 3g phones and ported the older numbers to them. No sim cards were re-used or exchanged. My 1st gen iPhone was still in my pocket while everything was being provisioned. The minute I walked out the store, i wasn't able to use the phone but everything else was working such as apps, calendars, wi-fi, etc. I want to format the phone and upgrade the firmware to keep it current but I have a feeling if I do that, I might lose all functionality of the phone in it's entirety. My current version for the firmware is 2.1. Thanks for any help.

mokeiko