1st gen iphone dock better than the new one for iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by St8kout, Jul 1, 2010.

1. GameraFan macrumors regular

2. glen e macrumors 68030

just pop the top off the new dock , cut off the well part of the top and put it back on - works fine with bumper...

[​IMG]

3. GameraFan macrumors regular

Do you have a picture of it with the well cut off?

4. glen e macrumors 68030

no at work now - cut it here:
    [​IMG]
    a small piece of 1/8 in PVC will complete it....I don't care and left it open...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

What'd you use to cut it? I have mine apart but haven't cut it yet. I'm thinking dremel

6. glen e macrumors 68030

dremel will work fine if your hand is steady - I ground mine down on a shop grinding wheel

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

8. thePhantom macrumors newbie

this shop describes the 2g dock as:
    GENUINE APPLE iPhone 2G (1st generation) DOCK

which is where my confusion comes from - not from my lack of ability to read the post

9. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

This is what i plan on doing to my old dock also as soon as i get my damn bumper which is on order from apple. I could care less on the looks as long as i can dock it and remove it with no problems.

10. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

You asked, "will a 2g dock work?" The first post answered this.

BTW- I'm currently using my first gen dock with the iPhone 4 and like it a lot! I received the iPhone 4 dock in the mail (that I ordered on the 15th), and haven't opened it yet. I don't like how it covers up the front, while on the original dock, you can press the home button and such.

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

This is news? The first thing I did when I got home was to put it in my 1st gen iPhone dock because they two are so similar in shape. Works like a charm.

13. St8kout thread starter macrumors regular

So I bought a (new) 1st gen holder off ebay from a hong kong store and my iphone doesn't fit too well in it. In fact, I have to push kinda hard to get the phone to make contact, much harder than it should be. I don't have the bumper case, this is just the bare iphone. Also, the square mark on the holder is above where you plug the cord in, but you have to plug it in upside down because that's the way the connector is mounted.

I opened it up and it's different from the pics someone posted here. Obviously some chinese knock-off of the real deal, so buyer beware.

I suppose I'll have to break out my dremel to make it fit in easily, or just use it without the plastic mounting. It's basically just a ciruit board with a connector at each end and an audio jack to one side.

Eh, but what can you expect for $6.99?

Followup: Just tried to use the Line Out audio jack. It doesn't work either. *sigh*