1st gen iphone...dying?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by huntli77, Jul 17, 2010.

1. huntli77 macrumors newbie

In the past week my 1st generation iphone started to act a little slow. Occasionally when you hit the home button it does not respond immediately. Sometimes it is just slow to go home, or sometimes you have to hit it over and over again. I was just curious if this is a sign that my trusty iphone is dying a slow death.
    thanks

2. elie.fares macrumors regular

the on/off button on mine doesn't work anymore, so I can't restore it because I need to get it into recovery mode to use the custom firmware :p
    the home button hangs... a lot!
    My sms app took about 3 minutes to load today after I received a text. The other day, while texting, I had something pop up on screen and I couldn't dismiss it. So I waited for the phone to go to sleep and after that, the touchscreen became a simple display. I have no idea how I managed to make it work.
    So yeah my friend, we need a new iPhone :p

3. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

likely due to all the newest firmware there has been since 2007.

Unlike consumer reports, I give my full recommendation for the iPhone 4. You will be stunned going from 1st gen to 4th gen. Free bumper is recommended also :D

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I never realized how slow mine had gotten until I got the iPad. After a few weeks with that, I knew I was going to have to upgrade to the new iPhone.

+1 to the the other recs...the iPhone 4 will blow you away. Speed is amazing and the camera is outstanding. And the call clarity over 3G, at least in my area, is crystal clear.

Just be sure to get a case for it. :D

5. huntli77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm one of those people that can't move on to a new product until the old product is totally dead. But I have to admit that all this 4 praise is getting me to rethink my position. hmm...what to do.
    thanks for the info everyone.

6. rabmag macrumors member

I've had the iPhone 2G, 3GS, and now the iPhone 4. It's the only Apple device I own, aside from an Apple Cinema Display on my PC.

I am able to fully reproduce the signal issueto the point where I can totally stop data transmission and miss a call. In real world use, and being left handed, I haven't actually dropped a call or been unable to browse a website.

It's quite easy to reproduce the problem, even in areas with 5 bars. I actually live in an area where the signal is quite low, and even in my house, I am not dropping anymore calls than I have with the 3GS.

I recommend the iPhone 4 with caution. The caution is only because, depending how you hold the phone when browsing the web or when in call, you may or may not run into an issue...and then again, you may not even be in an area where you are able to reproduce the issue. I personally cannot reproduce the issue EVERYWHERE...only in certain places.

Otherwise, the iPhone 4 is an amazing device and despite there being obvious hardware flaws, I simply do not wish to go back to the 3GS since the design flaws in the iPhone 4 don't effect me in the real world.

YMMV

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

OP, I hate to break this to you but this forum is EXCLUSIVELY for people who want to complain about the iPhone 4.

But no in all seriousness I feel like most cell phones die after a few years at best- I had my iPhone 3G for 2 years and that was the longest I ever had any one phone without needing a replacement.

I too highly recommend the iPhone 4. I know some people are having issues. I am not, a lot of other people are not. And I feel like even if I did have the "death grip" issue it would still be better than using a BB or droid. Plus now with the free case deal, it makes is $29 more worth it. Just my two cents, but I recommend an upgrade.

8. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I went from original iPhone 4GB to new iPhone4 32GB. A great upgrade indeed. Now is the right time for you. If nothing else my battery was getting pretty bad.

9. elie.fares macrumors regular

i have an iPhone 4 reserved at the Louvre Apple Store in Paris. I'm going on day 16 now. If I don't get the pick it up email before Wednesday, I'm gonna have to wait till mid August...

Everything aside, I love my 2G... it's very reliable when it's not dying :p