1st gen Iphone plan ($59.99) on 3G Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gschept180, Jul 14, 2008.

1. gschept180 macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a few questions all rolled up into a big picture. Ultimately is it possible to buy an Iphone 3g and get the old iphone plan of 450 minutes + unlimited data + 200 sms? I just really want to save $15 a month by doing this. First of all is this possible? Second of all if it is possible, I would go to the AT&T store buy the iphone 3g 16GB for $299 and then cancel the service so I would have the Iphone 3G for a total of $475. The question is though, do I cancel before or after 30 days because I know you have to return the phone if you cancel before 30 days, but if I called up and cancelled would it be possible to just pay the Early termination fee and keep the phone or will they MAKE YOU return it? Also if I bought the 3g iphone would this cancel my $59.99 plan because if that is true then someone else would have to sign up and cancel the contact for me because I wouldn't want to buy the iphone without a contract for $699. Anyways the real question is if it is possible to use the old iphone plan on the Iphone 3g? Do you just pop in the old iphone sim card into the iphone 3g and it starts working? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am trying to get the iphone 3g for a cheaply as possible so let me know if you have any suggestions.

2. kleo macrumors regular

The only way this would ever work is if you already had an iPhone and were paying the $60 a month rate. Then you purchased an iPhone 3G on ebay for some ridiculous amount and popped the sim card in there. In the end its probably cheaper to just by one the legit way.

3. harodude macrumors regular

I can confirm that the original iPhone data plan can be used no problem with the iPhone 3G.

On one of my lines, I bought the 3G, then called CS and they put the 20 dollar data/200 txt plan on the line... I now get the 3G data for $10 cheaper.

Is that what you were wondering?

4. gschept180 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I'm glad it works. But how could customer service just give you the $20 data plan on an iPhone 3g? On the 3g you are supposed to be on the $30 data plan, doesnt at&t know you ar using the 3g iPhone?

5. Affe macrumors member

I had a question along the same line. I currently have an unlocked (never activated) iPhone on T-Mobile. Would it be possible for me to activate the phone on AT&T and then buy a new iPhone 3G, then switch back to iPhone (1G) & plan and just put my SIM in my iPhone 3G? Possibly having to unlock my iPhone 3G once that is available, for it to work.

Would 3G work? I don't live in a 3G area, but it would be nice to have.

6. mkoesel macrumors regular

Its even cheaper to just use the $15 MEdia.NET unlimited which also works and does give you 3G...