1st Gen iPhone replacment problem (Prepaid plan)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moka, Jan 12, 2009.

1. moka macrumors 6502a

Has anyone had any issues with replacing there first gen iphone with a prepaid plan? i have been having a heck of a terrible time trying to reactivate my number on the replacement phone, i have been to both an apple store and an ATT store and they all seem to be clueless as to why i am unable to do so.

Every time i do it through itunes at home, at the apple store and at the ATT store it says that the number cannot be activated with an iphone, this ordeal has been going on for 3 days straight, i have been bouncing back and forth with the ATT Store and the apple store, both seem to be having trouble understanding each other. I was able to get an ATT representative to talk to the apple store manager in my city but even then the apple store manager was unable to help me out with anything, i have tried every possible combination with ATT to try to reactivate my line with them with the replacement phone.

What really annoyed me more is how the att customer service was clueless as to how to help me out, when i walked into the store the first time to get a new sim as i was told so by an ATT rep on the phone and the apple store the rep in the store gave me a sim but before he did he swiped it into there computer which to my knowledge now should not have happened, i asked him after he gave me the sim if its possible for them to activate the phone in the store as i am unable to do so and was told by an ATT rep on the phone to go to a ATT store and have them do it for me, he told me that they will be unable to help me activate the phone in store as they do not have the equipment to do so, i ended up going back to the apple store to see what they can do as they told me if nothing works out there to come back with the new sim.

I was finally able to get a hold of the manager at the ATT prepaid department sat afternoon, he was very generous, he informed me that the att store i was at had the equipment to be able to activate my phone in store and that he would call that store to talk to them about my situation. When he got back to me he told me to go there and that a manager should be waiting for me to help me out. He said that he would call the store with in 10-15 minutes to talk to them when im there which i agreed on as i could get there by that time frame. he stated that its impossible to reactivated the prepaid line with the iphone through itunes and in this situation they will have to do it.

After going back to the ATT store again and waiting in line for some reason, i was successfully able to talk to the manager but the Rep on the phone that was suppose to call ended up doing so but the manager at the ATT store missed it (she was busy helping out other customers), by the time she was able to call him back they where closed for the day. so she setup a call back so that the rep on the phone that was going to help me would call me back on monday morning as soon as he steps into his office, she also gave me a number i can call just incase.

we will see what will happen then, but i really was frustrated and confused as how unorganized ATT is, especially their systems and communication methods.

i would like to ask this again has anyone had any issues like i have replacing there first gen iphone under a prepaid plan that they activate through itunes when they first purchased the iphone? because if i have to go through this every time i had to replace a phone i would rather kill my self, lol!

2. moka thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess i am the only one who went through this ordeal? well an update, i had to change my number as the prepaid phone number cannot be converted what so ever or used with the replacement iphone i had which is ******** in my opinion, so i am only paying $3 more for the current contract plan (450) min one which i have no problem with but now i am stuck with a 2 year contract with a different phone number, after completing everything in store i had to call 611 to check on the balance transfer and the activation fee being waived, well the rep on the phone told me that i should have been able to convert my prepaid number to the post paid account instead of creating a new phone number...

Thanks ATT! :rolleyes:

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Edit: Forget what I said. I misunderstood your post.

When I tried activating my previous go-phone plan from my old non-iPhone, I couldn't activate it. I had to get a new number... sounds like that's what you'll have to do as well... sorry.

4. moka thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone think if i called ATT and told them i had to sign up for a two year contract to be able to reactivate my replacement iphone that they will somehow deduct one year from my current two year contract agreement that i had to sign up for to reactivate my replacement first gen iphone? as i have been using my old pay as you go plan on the first gen iphone for well over a year before having to replace it.

Thanks.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Ouch. First, how did you get on to a pre-paid plan with the iPhone? For now lets assume that you failed the credit check in iTunes for you original iPhone and you were offered the pre-paid option during initial activation.

The only way you can get find out / reverse this mess is to contact AT&T again and try to get the specific details and post the reasons and we can offer suggestions.

There is no valid reason that you had to sign up for a new two-year service agreement. What reason did they give you for the need for a new contract? It sounds like someone just wanted a commision.

On the phone number porting, one valid reason why you could not keep your pre-paid phone number and migrate it to you post-paid plan is that you moved / had an out-of-area phone number. Again, what specific reason(s) did they give you as to why you could not port your pre-paid number?

Dave

6. moka thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that's how I got on the prepaid plan, faild the credit check when I created my ATT account on iTunes last February..

I tried practically everything with ATT was on the phone with Multiple reps and supervisors, I wasted many hours on the phone and non could help me reactivate the replacment phone on the prepaid phone number I had or a new Prepaid plan.

After replacing the phone I was unable to activate it using the same phone number I had, I was also unable to signup for another prepaid plan unless i failed the itunes credit check which i did not in this case. According to the att rep instore thats the only way they can activate the repacment phone i got.

About the phone number port that I was not able to do, I did not move, my new number still has the same area code as my old prepaid account number.

7. moka thread starter macrumors 6502a

what a relief, i just recently ended a call with an ATT Supervisor and was able to somewhat solve the issue, she was able to remove the early termination fee from the two year contract i signed up for because of my issue, that's as far as they where able to help me and i guess im good with it too. Just to make sure i also got her Name, ID and Customer Service Center Location.