1st Gen iPhone won't power up - any tricks to try?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gauchogolfer, Mar 28, 2009.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Today my iPhone (1st gen) decided to act up. I was listening to a podcast when the sound went out and the screen went white. I was able to turn it off, but not back on. It started getting very warm at that point, like it was still working away on something. It's since cooled down, but now is totally unresponsive. There was plenty of battery at the time this happened. Now, it won't power on, whether plugged into my Powerbook or not. Warranty period is over according to Apple, though I evidently still have some form of phone service available.

Am I hosed?

2. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

RESTORE IPHONE:
    Step-by-Step

1) Close all programs and restart computer.
    2) Open iTunes and plug in powered off iPhone with direct USB connection.
    3) If iTunes fails to connect to iPhone...continue to #4, if it does...restore.
    4) Shut DOWN iTunes again.
    5) Power OFF the iPhone & Disconnect from computer. (Power off two ways-one will work, hold home and sleep button until off or just hold sleep button until off)
    6) Hold down Home button & connect to computer using direct connected USB cable (keep holding down the home button until iTunes sees it).
    7) It should go into recovery mode and iTunes should recognise it.
    8) If you want to recover to previous software version, Hold Alt/Shift and click restore in iTunes. Then select the old update version.

DFU MODE:
    Step-by-Step

1. Turn the iPhone ON
    2. CONNECT it to the computer with a DIRECT USB connection.
    3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode.
    4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds.
    5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button.
    6. WAIT until iTunes recognizes the phone in DFU Restore mode (in Windows a bubble pops up saying it recognized new hardware "DFU Mode" or something to that effect)
    The last step may take SOME TIME, like, say, even 60 seconds or so.
    The screen should be OFF (black), if you see the "Connect to iTunes" logo, START OVER.
    It may take a few tries to do the steps just right, just reboot
    (hold both Power/Sleep-Wake AND Home until the Apple logo appears and the phone turns back on) then try again.
    7. Then restore the iphone

-Plug one end of the cord into your phone and the other in your computer
    -Remove the cord in your computer, leaving the cord in the phone still plugged in
    -Hold both the home button and on/off button on the phone
    -Once the screen turns off, let go of the on/off button but continue holding the home button
    -Plug in the other end of the cord in your computer while still holding the home button on the phone
    -Once the apple logo appears, continue holding until you see the plug into itunes screen on your phone
    -Click restore.

3. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks for the instructions, sadly neither of them work since I can't get the iPhone to power up at all. I get to step #4 in Restore and...nothing.
    Thanks anyways.

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

try holding home and power buttons for about a minute, should show an apple logo.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey GG, sounds like the battery may be down and out. Anyway you can try another USB iPhone cable/cord? It wouldn't hurt to take it to the Apple Store even though it's out of warranty. *Crossing fingers* Maybe they'll exchange on the basis that it's a battery malfunction and they'll do it out of the goodness of their heart..... Keep us advised:(:(:(:(:(:(

6. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I just went to the ATT store here (no Apple stores) and was basically told tough luck. They tried plugging it in there also with no luck.

Is it possible to buy a 1st gen iPhone from Craigslist or something and use it with my SIM?

7. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

If you have AT&T (assuming since you went into the ATT store, lol).. Then yeah, you can get one on craigslist/ebay and be able to use it fine.. Don't spend to much though.. with a new iphone around the corner possibly.

8. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Threatening my phone with Craigslist seems to have worked. I plugged it in again just for giggles and it started charging. Strange stuff my friends, but a happy ending so far.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Man GG, you just need to keep talking bad about your iPhone and it should last another two years.......:D:p:D:p:D:p

Keep an eye on CL; and yes, you can just place your SIM card in your new 2G iPhone and it's business as usual....

10. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Apple won't help you?

If Apple won't help you, ask them to replace the battery.

This is weird, sounds EXACTLY like a water problem.
    Good luck.

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

^ Don't hesitate to use the rod.