Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hsj2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
I've just got a 1st Gen iPod Touch and it's got firmware 3.1.3 on it but it's sooooooo slow and unresponsive at times. So, I've tried downloading firmware 2.2.1 from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ but when I go to restore it in iTunes I get an error saying iTunes could not restore the iPod. If I just click restore to download the latest firmware and restore the iPod it restores fine but it's still too slow.

Any ideas?

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Yeah -- why'd you 'just get' a 1st gen, when you can get great deals right now on 4th gen ones?

You can have the latest iOS, quick, runs good . . . seems like a no-brainer.

But that's just me.

hsj2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
It was meant to be a newer gen but the seller lied and now doesn't want to know.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
So you bought it sight unseen?

Hindsight is 20/20, but you should NEVER buy something like this without being able to touch it and make sure it works right. There are just too many variables; it could've been dropped etc . . .

I'm sure it's been an expensive lesson to learn, and that sucks.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
By "too slow", what do you mean? Please give examples, such as "the game xxx takes xxx seconds to show up and gives a frame rate that makes the game unplayable".

Also, did you jailbreak this device? If not, don't. When I see complaints about slow iPhones and iPod Touches, it's frequently that they've been jailbroken.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I've just got a 1st Gen iPod Touch and it's got firmware 3.1.3 on it but it's sooooooo slow and unresponsive at times. So, I've tried downloading firmware 2.2.1 from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ but when I go to restore it in iTunes I get an error saying iTunes could not restore the iPod. If I just click restore to download the latest firmware and restore the iPod it restores fine but it's still too slow.

Any ideas?

Flash 1.1.4, it will fail and enter a semi-bricked state. The flash 2.2.1, it will stick.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
No offence but you deserve what you go. As said above, you should buy anything without being able to physically touch it, make sure it functions right, etc. There are too many scammers out there and people who can't be trusted.

You should've gotten a 4th gen refurbished from Apple.

----------

(Thats what she said :D)

Grow up, this isn't elementary school.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
No offence but you deserve what you go. As said above, you should buy anything without being able to physically touch it, make sure it functions right, etc. There are too many scammers out there and people who can't be trusted.

You should've gotten a 4th gen refurbished from Apple.

----------

Grow up, this isn't elementary school.

No I wouldn't even trust refurbished with all the yellow screens and leaking.

Just buy a new one, I never buy used and I don't understand why people would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.