1st Gen iPod Touch VS. Salt Water

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Yakuza, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Today while enjoying the beautiful portuguese sun at the beach, and hearing to some music my ipod suddenly decided to go diving, he went running down the beach to the water and the worst happened :eek: he died!

Well ok it didn't happened like this lol :D

But i was enjoying the sun on the beach and hearing music, but only that it was I who caught a wave and the ipod was all submersed under water, it went on for about a 3secs and turned off. After that i turned on and the strangest things began to happen.

first - the ipod accused 20% battery, when it was about 55%

second - the battery icon had the charging icon

third - the battery icon had the charged icon

fourth - i didn't hear nothing, no music at all (the headphones still work)

fifth - i tried to take the headphones and the music didn't stop

sixth - last time i touched it it was asking for recharge it

last - DEAD!! i plugged it in my mbp to recharged it and...well nothing. it was plugged in for a while and even though it apparently didn't charged, the ipod was a little warm. but no life on him.

Has anyone here been through a similar thing? I will put the ipod for repairing, but i'm not to optimistic.

Ideas or opinions guys?

Thanks

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Saltwater and electronics don't mix.

I hope you learned your lesson.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Saltwater is terrible for electronics. Luckily for you there'll be a new iPod Touch coming out in a few months. In the interim, find a cheap iPod to use.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever turn on a electronic when you think it might have water damage. For future reference.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It likely makes little difference with iPods since you can't take out the battery (although I still wouldn't turn it on) and it especially wouldn't make much difference when salt water is involved.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I wasnt referencing ipods only, i was referencing electronics in general.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

In a thread about an iPod. :rolleyes:

8. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Ok i get it.

R.I.P 1st Gen iPod Touch, it was nice while it last.

Well it's like it was on purpose. I'll be in New York in September, and i was thinking i would really like to buy something in the local apple store but i hadn't nothing i needed to buy there...well i will think again :D

9. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Well, somebody needed to tell him/her.
    You should sell it on eBay for parts... may get like $50 but its better than nothing....

Hmmmmmm....

10. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Even the ol' stick-it-in a bag of dry rice won't save it now. :( Sorry to hear.

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Well, at least youre makin room for the 4G!

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No. No, they didn't.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Ok. It was useful/obvious advice... was it not?

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

And was my appended information about iPods and their batteries not entirely relevant to your post? Yet you felt the need to correct me even though I needed no correction. There's no need for hypocrites in this forum.

15. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Is it not common knowledge that any water isn't good for any electronics?

To the OP, sorry about your Touch dude. But now you have an excuse to get a 4th gen =)

16. Ryuu117 macrumors member

Lol, I have an easy fix for this. But only if you're willing to spend some money on overseas shipping. There are companies all over Europe (especially in Greece, Cyprus, and Italy) that will take the iPod, check if it works, and just replace it. What I did was - I put cotton in the headphone jack so the red "water damage" light wouldn't show, then went to their website and filled out a warranty damage application, sent it in with my iPod ($25 overnight shipping), and I got a package the next week with a brand new iPod and some warranty papers I just threw away. Since you're in Portugal (or so I'm guessing) it shouldn't be difficult. BTW I don't remember the name of the website, but I'm sure you could find one. I used one in Greece, since I'm Greek and all.

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I didnt correct you on anything. There were no corrections in my post. You typed electronics and saltwater dont mix, and i added on, dont turn one on when it has water damage.

18. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

So all you had to do was send it and that was the only fee, and you got a brand new one back? How would they make money if that were the case?

19. zavannah macrumors newbie

A friend of a friend of mine dropped her ipod in water. Then she turned on the oven, let it get a little warm, and then she put the ipod in the oven for about a minute. It works now, but I wouldn't recommend it since her ipod looks like a melted snowman now

20. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Pics?