1st gen mac pro and raid ??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.Noisy, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Ok here's the deal, just got my hands on another mac pro,quad 2.66 (brother don't want it, he's happy using his MBP), this thing has 12GB of RAM and 4 hard drives, but i want to replace 2 of the hard drives for big capacity ones, i was thinking 2 x 1.5tb in a mirrored raid for movies,TV & music. are 1.5tb hard drives supported in the early Mac Pro?

I use My MP a 2008 3.2 with a Drobo connected for RAW file storage, the drobo has 4 x 1tb drives in it, so i want to use the 2nd MP as a Media machine, so what i'm asking is does anyone run a pair of 1.5tb drives in a raid in the 1st gen MP or even know if you can do it?

sorry if this has been asked, would search but been up for 24hrs, and i'm very tired.

Many thanks in advance ;)

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

If the interface is SATA, you most likely will be able to use your HDDs and most likely in software RAID as well. I have yet to see SATA drives not behave "friendly" with a chipset... Maybe some of the earlier models might have mileage variance with how well they connect to current machinery, but any SATA-2 drive will connect to a SATA-2 interface. It is, in fact, why SATA, SATA-2, etc, are known as "standards".

If you were using a hardware solution, you would have to double-check compatibility. But since its software RAID, you should be fine.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

In fact the biggest capacities are now 2TB and they run fine in the MP1,1 with SW RAID from disk utility.

4. Mr.Noisy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Thanks guys, Dr.Pants yeah it's sata2 so should be ok.
    gugucom yeah i thought i'd read here or somewhere that a pair of 2tb hdd's were used but couldn't think (tired last night) but i'm thinking the 1.5tb should be fine.

It will be a sw raid to mirror them, I just needed a little confirmation, thanks again ;)