1st Gen Mac Pro Video Card Help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skinsfreak88, Nov 1, 2009.

1. skinsfreak88 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    so i have a 2007 quad core 2.66 Ghz Mac Pro. It came standard with the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. I do alot of work in Final Cut Studio and Photoshop so i want to upgrade the video card. I went to the apple store to ask if i could use a 3rd party card, and they said i could but it had to be PCI-X. (i looked at my system config and it says PCIe)

ive seen that apple sells a couple of cards so i have 2 questions

1. can i buy and 3rd party cards to replace my current card. (preferably with over 1gb mem)

2. can i purchase one of the cards through apple, could i install it next to my current one and run each of my dual monitors through one of the cards

(btw i have 2, 22in dvi displays)

thanks for the help

2. jdizzle299 macrumors newbie

8800gt

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think that there isn't a 1gb VRAM graphics card for the Mac Pro, but there is an 8800 gt for the 1st gen Mac Pro which has 512 mb of VRAM, and is a little old but a good card. Maybe you could buy two and technically you would have a total of 1 gb of graphics memory. However, this card isn't a huge upgrade from the ATI X1900XT, but two of them will a significant difference.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What I've heard, ATI 4870 and even nVidia GTX 285 works in 2007 Mac Pro. I hope someone can confirm this

4. jdizzle299 macrumors newbie

Hmmm... Maybe, but on the retail sites, some list specific incompatibility to the newer cards, and besides that, some other individuals warn others of these cards. skinsfreak88, if you have a friend who has one of the newer cards, then maybe you can convince them to lend you the card for a few minutes to see if it works with your computer.