1st Gen Mac Pro Xeon vs Nephalem,Advice,Opinons,Votes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcrew2, Jun 27, 2009.

1. jcrew2 macrumors newbie

I know a guy willing to sell me his mac pro for 1500. Its about two years old, 1st gen Xeon Processor, quad core, 750 hd, 3 160 10k hd's, don't know how much ram, 4 gigs I think. I was just about to buy a new Mac Pro Quad Core with the Nephalem processor for 2300(student discount), when the deal came my way. What should I do? Planning to run Final Cut Pro and Protools on it mostly. Will I wish I had gotten the newer version in a year or two? Will it be a significant difference in performance of the newer computer vs the older version? Can the processor be upgraded at a later date? Tell me what you can, cast your vote, throw me some advise and opinions and help me make a decision. For the record, I am leaning towards the computer with the regular xeon(older) over the nephalem(newer) processor. 800 hundred dollar difference...hard to beat, unless you know something that I need to know. Talk to me folks

2. mac-mania macrumors member

Well I mean, do you just "know a guy" or is he a personal friend and you know its in good working condition and you trust it. If thats the case, its hard to argue price vs. performance when you can spend the cash on a ACD and get similar performance.

Of course its always difficult spending 1500.00 on a 2 year old computer. Did he have Apple Care?

3. jcrew2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do know the guy. He has lots of money and always goes top of the line so he probably does have apple care but I don't know for sure.