1st gen Macbook 1,83 CoreDuo Screen issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jo-Kun, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Hi, I can't find a viable solution on the forum (or simply don't find it?) but what's the case: my Macbook's screen had died, at least the backlight has... all is working fine but I can't read the screen, so I plug in an external monitor... anyone knows how to fix the backlight? or how to disable the monitor in the Macbook so I can leave it open (for heatissues) but don't have the mirroring/screenspanning and all resources go to the external screen. Screen removal is an option I guess ;-)

thnx!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

You don't have to remove the whole screen. All you have to do is unplug the LVDS cable from the logic board.

As far as the backlight issue, it could be the LCD, the inverter, the inverter cable, or the logic board. Without additional details about the symptoms, we can't tell you which one. (It's not likely to be the logic board unless a liquid was spilled on it.)

3. Jo-Kun thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok what happens: when I boot the screen comes up, just for a short while and goes all black... when viewed in direct light I can see my desktop and icons, so there is something on the screen but no backlight... I can connect my external monitor & work mirrored or spanned, when I close the lid -> sleep & I can wakeup with only the external monitor... when I open the lid: short on/off backlight and screen goes black again...

it all started a while ago... maybe some update screwed it up?

FYI:
    OSX 10.6.8 installed...

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

No, an update didn't do that. That sounds like either the inverter is bad or the LCD.

And just to verify, if you turn the brightness all the way down and then turn it back up, the screen should also come on momentarily. I believe in the past, my experience has been that if the backlight will stay on for a while at a low intensity, that it's more likely to be the inverter, but I could be remembering incorrectly, so ultimately, you'll have to swap parts out to know for sure.

Of course, in general, it's more likely to be the inverter, but the symptoms are virtually the same, either way.

5. Jo-Kun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just read your reply... and tried this:

And just to verify, if you turn the brightness all the way down and then turn it back up, the screen should also come on momentarily. ->Nope no response at all, only a quick flicker when it comes out of sleep...

just thinking: can I use it as a headless mac when I remove te screen (iTunes server connected to my stereo, and using iPod/iPad as remote?) other reason why removing the whole screen can be interesting... a 2006 C64 by apple ;-)) I can put it on my desk, not losing to much space (now external KB and so on... + mac there...)

might sound a little chaotic now ;-))

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

From the symptoms I would suggest it is the logic board rather than anything else. The LCD is probably fine.

If you want to use it in clamshell mode with an external screen but with the lid open then use a small magnet to trigger the sleep switch (about 25mm diagonally below the fn key close to the edge of the keyboard).

If you cannot find a magnet then remove the screen bezel on the lefthand side and about halfway up you will see the magnet that triggers the switch. If you loosen the screws holding the lcd frame in place you should be able to get the magnet out....

7. Detrius macrumors 68000

I' inclined not to think it's the logic board unless something has been spilled on it. I do agree, though that it sounds like it's not going to be the LCD.

Out of curiosity, are you putting it to sleep by closing it and waking it by opening it? Try putting it to sleep with it open and waking it without moving the screen. If it does not flicker, suspect inverter cable. If it does flicker, I'd suspect the inverter next.

8. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Completely different systems but, on my older Dell, I had to replace the inverter after it went bad. I had the same issue as the OP. Of course, I found this out AFTER I replaced the screen... I guess it's good I had a spare just in case. :)

9. Jo-Kun thread starter macrumors 6502a

sleep -> not by closing & opening it, screen flickers very shortly and switches to external screen, internal stays black but is recognized as working by the os...

I guess I'll have to decide this one is at its end of life & spend no more money on it... it had a good run since May2006 :) time to move on :-D