1st Gen. Macbook Pro 15'' keeps freezing after long use everyday, Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smithmaestro, Mar 22, 2010.

1. smithmaestro macrumors newbie

I upgraded my Macbook Pro to the Snow Leopard, it works pretty well. My laptop use to be strong in being used 18 hours everyday because I usually use it for surfing the net, school work, homework, and much more. Now, at the start of February, it keeps freezing and overheating too fast. I use it for photography too, but still, it doesn't affect it that much. It's supposed to be about 120GB and I've used it until it has 81GB left, LESS THAN what I had before (64GB left 2 years ago, for music). Most of the time, I have to reboot my laptop about 5-13 times a day. Mostly after a couple hours, even when I lay it to rest for awhile under an AC, and sometimes it doesn't start up properly or it takes more than usual to start up, so I have to reboot it.

Details:

Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz RAM
    Version: 10.6.2

I heard that I should upgrade the Memory to at least 2 GB or more if my laptop can use it. I don't know. And I usually use a lot of applications, leave them for awhile, come back to them and yea. Mostly, safari is the one that freezes all the time (I have about 4-10 tabs not all the time, reduced to 4-8). I need a LOT OF HELP! I don't want it to freeze like this again! What can I do! and I also tried to dim the screen, reduce the amount of energy used, and when it gets hot and the fans go to full power, then I would put it up against a fan or raise it up so the cold air can go beneath.

REALLY, WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PREVENT REBOOTING OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND PREVENT EXTREME AMOUNTS OF FREEZING (Bad grammar, but I can't stand this anymore!)

DO NOT RECOMMEND ME TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP!

Thank you, and please explain why, and if it's expensive or not.

-smithmaestro :apple:

2. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

hi, sorry but there is nothing you can do, i have the same problem and i'm on a iMac which has considerably higher specs ... it is Snow Leopard... it is all messed up, and Safari freezes frequently because of Flash Player, i would recommend reverting back to Leopard 10.5.8 :eek:

3. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

if you really want to stick with Snow Leopard because re-installing everything is a pain in the ass... move away from Apple applications i.e use FireFox/Chrome, Picasa for Mac, Microsoft Office 2008, VLC not Quicktime X and run Onyx (every possible maintenance) to see if it clears any crap up, if that still doesn't help then chuck your laptop at Steve Job's head.. might make him start looking at the Mac Product Lineup... not the iPad/iPhone