1st Gen MacPro (Intel) graphic card help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Wolo, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Wolo macrumors newbie

My card (RadeonX1900) is pretty well shot.

What options do I have for an upgrade since the GeForce 8800 isn't available anymore?

Thanks for the help!

2. Wolo thread starter macrumors newbie

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The 4870 makes my 2006 Mac Pro feel like a brand new computer. I upgraded from the 1900 card and can finally play current games again with a good frame rate.

4. Wolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Is going through Apple the best place to get it?

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You'll get a card that's guaranteed to work, but if you don't mind flashing a PC card you can get one for much cheaper.

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

If you do the flashing thing, does OSX see it as an official Mac 4870? I want to make 100% sure it will work with OpenCL before going that route. I run a 3870 Mac version right now which Apple doesn't list as OpenCL compatible.

7. Harry322 macrumors member

Mac Pro 2006 upgrade questions

I am also interested in upgrading the graphics card on my 2006 Mac Pro. A few questions, some of them similar to those posed by other users:

1. If I went with the 4870 Mac version, would it still support OpenCL in Snow Leopard, despite not being officially sanctioned for use on a 2006 Mac Pro?

2. Would a flashed 4870 or the higher end 4890 also take advantage of OpenCL? Is there any way to verify this?

3. Would the 1GB of VRAM on a flashed 4870 make any noticeable difference when using the Final Cut Studio apps as opposed to the 512MB on the Mac version?

4. Would I still be able to install a velociraptor hard drive or two in the second optical bay of the Mac Pro if the 4870 is plugged in to the power source? I understand that additional hard drives in the optical bay require power from the same source as the GPU.

Thanks everyone-

8. BlueLightStudio macrumors newbie

Since we're talking about the 1st gen MP's, I'm noticing that most of the sites that I'm looking up the 4870 are all asking for 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM memory under system requirements. Would that mean that the 667MHz DDR2 wouldn't work?

Sorry still learning a lot with the Mac Pros... and also new to the forums!

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I am having a little difficulty understanding your question. But I'll try. The 2006 mac pros use 667 mhz memory while the 2008 models use 800 mhz. If you go to a site that sells the 4870 it'll say that your system requirements for that card are a minimum of 800 mhz RAM, right?

The 4870 is not officially supported on the older model mac pro that utilizes 667 mhz RAM, but I have one and it works seemlessly.

10. grundgedanke macrumors member

grundgedanke

Isn't there are big risk, that if Snow Leopard is out, the 4870 in an 2006er Mac pro won't support porperly? Really would love to buy my 2006er mac such a card.

11. paulkchen macrumors newbie

Hi bozz2006,

I have a friend who has a 2006 Mac Pro, and he bought a 4870 to drive his new 24" LED Cinema Display. Here's what he said about trying to get the card to work:

"The card does not work with my Mac Pro. It warns about the power connection and then the screen goes blank."

I've already asked him if the power connections were seated firmly, but he's been working with electronics for quite some time, so I don't believe that is a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Just for clarity's sake, this is the Apple version of the card? I would assume so since you say he has the 24" apple display. However, he may be using a flashed card and a DVI to displayport adaptor....

If it didn't work in OSX it would kernel panic or just not display anything. My guess is that A) something is messed up with the card, in which case he should set up an exchange with apple. or B)He does not actually have it hooked up correctly, even though he says he does. I'm not saying he's incompetent, but there have been many times in my life where I swear I've got something set up correctly and I don't.

My suggestion is for you to read the directions and then check if you think it is set up correctly. If you do, then I'd call apple and tell them your buddy received a defective card.

13. grundgedanke macrumors member

grundgedanke

@bozz2006
    So you use a original apple card? is everything you need to put it in a 1.1 mac pro included (power cable stuff etc.?)

Sorry for some dumb questions, but i don't want to waste the money :)

14. grundgedanke macrumors member

grundgedanke

Finally I have the chance to test it by myself as i can borrow such a card from my employer. I will report how it works out for me.

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yes I have the Apple version of the card. It ships with the two power cables that you need, which connect to the logic board to the left of where the airport card goes. That is everything you need.

If your friend went from a single slot vid card to the 4870, make sure he has the port cover for the #2 slot removed. That is where the hot air is expelled by the onboard fan.

16. grundgedanke macrumors member

grundgedanke

Works like a charm. Just put the Apple 4870 card in my 1,1 Mac Pro and it runs like hell under current MAC OS X and Bootcamp with Windows 7. So now I am sure that I'll buy one for me.

me happy :)

17. paulkchen macrumors newbie

It is an Apple version of the card with the two power cables as you mentioned. Yes, my first inclination was to ask my friend if he thought he got the power cables plugged in correctly.

I guess we could try it in another Mac Pro (his housemate has one of his own) and see what happens there.

Thanks so very much for the help!

Paul

18. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

no prob. If it doesn't work, my money says that the card is defective. I assure you that this card works seemlessly in the mac pro classic.