1st Gen MB owners considering upgrade to SR MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supz, Jun 9, 2007.

  1. supz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2006
    #1
    I'm currently making this decision myself... my MB runs just fine and while the graphics are a bit underpowered, for the most part it's decent. I would like to be able to play HL2 in Parallels though...

    Really, I just want the latest and greatest toy! :D Is anybody else in this situation? Give me reasons to justify wasting (sort of) another $2500!
     
  2. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Other
    #2

    I was in the same boat as you a good few months ago. Bought a black macbook last year and in fairness they are good laptop, but I just never warmed to it. I previously had a powerbook. So loads of time trying to justify it (gets too dirty, trackpad looks worn), eventually I saw a MBP on the refurb store for a good price and that was the final justification for me ;)

    Keep telling yourself you want a MBP, eventually you'll convice yourself to indulge. And when you do.... enjoy (for 6 months until the next REV :p )
     
  3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #3
    no, because my MacBook is still more than fast enough for what i do. I won't feel the need to upgrade for at least another year, i reckon. After that, i'll just procrastinate for ages, until i've finally scraped together enough dough to buy the baseline MacBook again.
     
  4. 66217 Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2006
    #4
    I am very happy with my MB.

    I like the size and all. But of course, if I could get the new MBP I would think hard about selling my MB.

    But right now my MB makes everything I need it for.:)


    So my advice: keep the MB, wait another 2 years, and with the money you save, buy the MBP (which would be a completely different MBP by that time).
     
  5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

    FleurDuMal

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Location:
    London Town
    #5
    I'm a Rev A Macbook owner who's considering going up to a SR MBP. Of course I have friends and family telling me that I'm throwing away money upgrading so soon (I've had my Macbook literally a year)...but they just don't understand.

    However, I might wait until the iMacs are released to see if they do anything spectacular with them. Otherwise it's just going to be a straight laptop upgrade.
     
  6. 66217 Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2006
    #6
    Exactly what I want to do. Wait for new iMacs to come out. I want a 24" screen.:)
     
  7. Willis macrumors 68020

    Willis

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    #7
    We'll, I'd say hold out till then end of the year/Macworld because of the 45nm Penryn...

    If not... blow your cash and just have fun!
     
  8. sm0 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Location:
    Wellington, NZ
    #8
    the first time i saw a 15" powerbook i knew i wanted it. these were $4000NZ+ at the time. and i was about 15.

    my mac life started with a g4 ibook. at first i regretted the switch from pc. but warmed to mac. the day the macbook was announced, i sold the ibook. bought a gen1 MB from singapore.

    sold the MB and two weeks ago bought the gen3 blackbook from USA. i wanted the MBP but my only option was a new blackbook or old mbp. and knew the SR was coming... damn it just missed out.

    ill get you next time... next year...


    (im never buying an mac in NZ).
     
  9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #9
    TBH, I haven't seen anything in the new MBPs to make a compelling argument to upgrade. Even the recent release of Parallels 3.0 has disappointing graphics performance for games (not that I play). Penryn may change things for the better but CPU-wise its not much of a difference. Once things get to 2.6GHz or Quad Core vs a 2GHz Core Duo it might be worth it.
     
  10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

    FleurDuMal

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Location:
    London Town
    #10
    Oh come on. There's always a reason to hold out. That's the nature of technology.
     
  11. supz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2006
    #11
    Ya... size is a big factor... that's why I got the MB in the first place, but the few things that really make me want to upgrade:

    - LED LCD
    - Way better GPU
    - 64-bit (Leopard)
    - Backlit keyboard
    - "Better" speakers

    But waiting till the end of the year for Penryn is good advice.. at least that way I won't be upgrading less than one year old laptop. And maybe a 13" MBP by then? :D
     
  12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #12
    we may be twins, separated at birth. :)
     
  13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #13
    1. well thats a given
    2. X1300? They won't put a dedicated GPU in there for a while.
    3. it already is with Tiger
    4. You'll be waiting a looooong while for this one
    5. and they'll have to re-design the case for this one to happen.

    Judging by 2 and 4, I think your ideal machine is a MacBook Pro :)
     
  14. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #14
    That is what he's saying...not that he wants the stuff in a MB :)

    Look here for some Leopard 64bit stuff...
     
  15. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #15
    From what i can understand in that page, 64 bit won't make much if any difference unless you have a Xeon chip and craploads of RAM. The average people of the public won't notice much difference. Am I on the right track?
     
  16. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

    BryanLyle

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2005
    #16
    I just ordered a decked out 17 inch MBP. My wife will be getting the Macbook and the MBP will be my new desktop computer. Can't wait.
     

Share This Page