1st Gen MBA refurb or new white macbook for $999?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jja1, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jja1 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this question has been asked, but thinking about getting a new laptop for the wife. E-Mail, web-surfing, pretty basic needs. Portability is key.

We have a 24" iMac and a 15.4" MacBook Pro for the heavy lifting.

Want to keep spend around $1k and keep seeing the 1st gen MBA 1.6 going for $999. Better buy than a new whitebook?

Thanks.

2. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

I'd go with the air.

Its a full 2lbs lighter, which doesn't sound like much, but can make all the difference when commuting. Also, from what I've seen the screen is significantly better on the air. The only thing I'd watch out for is the hard drive. I've seen some people in the air threads swear that the mba is only good with a SSD... but I am not too sure if that's entirely true. I'd check over there if I were you.

3. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

The 1st gen MBA is horrible the Graphix card on it sucks Id get the New Whitebook And 2 pounds is nothing.

4. dentedG4 macrumors member

Go with Air

While its true the first gen MBA is lacking in the graphics department, this will make no difference for her needs. If it is mainly going to be a web surfer, she will appreciate the better screen, lighter weight and better build quality of the Air.

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

amen. 9400m > GMA

6. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Talk about what you know!

First of all, no MBA has a graphic card, it's all integrated!

2lbs may be nothing to you, but for portability it can be!

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Air, hands down. It - especially the Rev. A Air - was designed to be a second computer. That's exactly what you've said you're looking for, so it just makes sense. No point in hauling around extra weight when the features on the MacBook are redundant and will never be used... :)

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...see my signature, go with an eeePC1000HE for $389 from www.newegg.com as you already have the iMac and MBP... the MBA is a waste of $$ for your needs and I don't see the whitebook as bringing much to the table for you with the other two :apple:'s you have already...