Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jja1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Sorry if this question has been asked, but thinking about getting a new laptop for the wife. E-Mail, web-surfing, pretty basic needs. Portability is key.

We have a 24" iMac and a 15.4" MacBook Pro for the heavy lifting.

Want to keep spend around $1k and keep seeing the 1st gen MBA 1.6 going for $999. Better buy than a new whitebook?

Thanks.

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Sorry if this question has been asked, but thinking about getting a new laptop for the wife. E-Mail, web-surfing, pretty basic needs. Portability is key.

We have a 24" iMac and a 15.4" MacBook Pro for the heavy lifting.

Want to keep spend around $1k and keep seeing the 1st gen MBA 1.6 going for $999. Better buy than a new whitebook?

Thanks.

I'd go with the air.

Its a full 2lbs lighter, which doesn't sound like much, but can make all the difference when commuting. Also, from what I've seen the screen is significantly better on the air. The only thing I'd watch out for is the hard drive. I've seen some people in the air threads swear that the mba is only good with a SSD... but I am not too sure if that's entirely true. I'd check over there if I were you.

Nocturnal22

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
The 1st gen MBA is horrible the Graphix card on it sucks Id get the New Whitebook And 2 pounds is nothing.

dentedG4

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Go with Air

While its true the first gen MBA is lacking in the graphics department, this will make no difference for her needs. If it is mainly going to be a web surfer, she will appreciate the better screen, lighter weight and better build quality of the Air.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
Talk about what you know!

The 1st gen MBA is horrible the Graphix card on it sucks Id get the New Whitebook And 2 pounds is nothing.

First of all, no MBA has a graphic card, it's all integrated!

2lbs may be nothing to you, but for portability it can be!

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Air, hands down. It - especially the Rev. A Air - was designed to be a second computer. That's exactly what you've said you're looking for, so it just makes sense. No point in hauling around extra weight when the features on the MacBook are redundant and will never be used... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.