Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gearkraft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok, so my mom went way overboard and bought me the really nice 24" cinema display for christmas. I also have a 1st gen MBP (17" 2.16ghz 2gig ram, etc). Anyways I knew the display was mini displayport specific, but I would figure (like any sane consumer) that there was an adapter to take the new monitor and connect it to an older, non MDP based computer. WRONG.

Apple sells these adapters that will let the new MBP's/macbooks/airs connect to older based monitors, but not the new monitor to older computers. Are there any options I have right now, or am I up the creek without a paddle?

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
as far as i know, for the time being you're up the creek. i have limited faith in apple themselves releasing an adapter because they'd rather you go out and buy a brand new notebook as well. but since they've released the mini display port spec royalty free (as i recall), hopefully a 3rd party will rise to the challenge.

otherwise you could go make a fuss in the apple store and hope they swap you a compatible 30 incher instead :p

now that'd be a christmas miracle. happy holidays!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Ok, so my mom went way overboard and bought me the really nice 24" cinema display for christmas. I also have a 1st gen MBP (17" 2.16ghz 2gig ram, etc). Anyways I knew the display was mini displayport specific, but I would figure (like any sane consumer) that there was an adapter to take the new monitor and connect it to an older, non MDP based computer. WRONG.

Apple sells these adapters that will let the new MBP's/macbooks/airs connect to older based monitors, but not the new monitor to older computers. Are there any options I have right now, or am I up the creek without a paddle?

I think what you can do is return the unit to Apple and change it for one that works, gifts purchased over the Christmas period can be returned till 8th January... Alternatively, search the net for the wirings and build a hardware hack yourself cause at the time of writing there's no such adaptor or cable available but I could be wrong.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I think you should be take it back to your mother, give her a kiss on the cheek and tell her you don't need it (rather than tell her it doesn't work and risk hurting her pride).

StvRndy

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Maybe sometime in the future, there will be an adaptor from DVI -> mini DP. Therefore we can use earlier version of MB and MBP with the new LED cinema display. But still there is still a magsafe power cable, which will look ugly unconnected.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
I thought Apple was selling adapters for this? I know they are for mini-display port to other things, but I could've swore they were doin other things to display port as well. That makes me even more disappointed in Apple over the whole display port thing...

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I thought Apple was selling adapters for this? I know they are for mini-display port to other things, but I could've swore they were doin other things to display port as well. That makes me even more disappointed in Apple over the whole display port thing...

Nope. The 24" LED Cinema Display works with only three computers on the planet right now.

When the iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac Mini are updated, it'll be six.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008

Sell 17", buy new 15" MBP?

gearkraft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I just ended up taking it back, then going to costco and getting a similarly sized monitor. I got a slamming deal on a vizio monitor (26"). It was less than half the price, so my mom got back some of her money, and everything worked out.

http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=2466&pid=1508

thats the one I purchased... oh, and with some of the left over $$$ i ended up buying a few blu-ray movies too. Also what was funny is that the apple guy said he had heard a lot of people grumbling about the incompatibility with older hardware. Apple tried to do some slick all in one package, but it caters to a percentage of a percentage... absolutely ridiculous.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I just ended up taking it back, then going to costco and getting a similarly sized monitor. I got a slamming deal on a vizio monitor (26"). It was less than half the price, so my mom got back some of her money, and everything worked out.

thats the one I purchased... oh, and with some of the left over $$$ i ended up buying a few blu-ray movies too. Also what was funny is that the apple guy said he had heard a lot of people grumbling about the incompatibility with older hardware. Apple tried to do some slick all in one package, but it caters to a percentage of a percentage... absolutely ridiculous.

Glad it worked out, that's a nice monitor but keep in mind, yes, it cost half the price of Apple's display BUT the Vizio is not an LED monitor. Apple's pricing is very good in terms of getting a 24" LED monitor.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008

Well that 26" is a TN panel w/o LEDs, I would of went for the new laptop, or just waited until they came out with an adapter..

gearkraft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So you would have invested at least another 2000$ to make the monitor work? That's simply preposterous. I'm not going to wait for an adapter either... who knows how long that will take.

I'm happy with the vizio until I make a newer apple hardware purchase.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
So you would have invested at least another 2000$ to make the monitor work? That's simply preposterous. I'm not going to wait for an adapter either... who knows how long that will take.

I'm happy with the vizio until I make a newer apple hardware purchase.

Probably not that long and the adapters should be coming out very soon since Apple is giving the MDP spec away for free..

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford

Considering your position, I think you made the right choice. I myself got a 20" ACD. I know its overpriced but I had a $100 gift card, making it a little easier to swallow lol.

It might be a hassle to sell your 17" MBP and buy a new MBP and who knows when an adapter will be available. Plus, would an adapter allow you to take full advantage of the Display Port technology? Who knows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.