1st gen MBP 17" with new 24" cinema display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gearkraft, Dec 25, 2008.

1. gearkraft macrumors newbie

Ok, so my mom went way overboard and bought me the really nice 24" cinema display for christmas. I also have a 1st gen MBP (17" 2.16ghz 2gig ram, etc). Anyways I knew the display was mini displayport specific, but I would figure (like any sane consumer) that there was an adapter to take the new monitor and connect it to an older, non MDP based computer. WRONG.

Apple sells these adapters that will let the new MBP's/macbooks/airs connect to older based monitors, but not the new monitor to older computers. Are there any options I have right now, or am I up the creek without a paddle?

2. stevemiller macrumors 65816

as far as i know, for the time being you're up the creek. i have limited faith in apple themselves releasing an adapter because they'd rather you go out and buy a brand new notebook as well. but since they've released the mini display port spec royalty free (as i recall), hopefully a 3rd party will rise to the challenge.

otherwise you could go make a fuss in the apple store and hope they swap you a compatible 30 incher instead :p

now that'd be a christmas miracle. happy holidays!

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I think what you can do is return the unit to Apple and change it for one that works, gifts purchased over the Christmas period can be returned till 8th January... Alternatively, search the net for the wirings and build a hardware hack yourself cause at the time of writing there's no such adaptor or cable available but I could be wrong.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think you should be take it back to your mother, give her a kiss on the cheek and tell her you don't need it (rather than tell her it doesn't work and risk hurting her pride).

5. StvRndy macrumors member

Maybe sometime in the future, there will be an adaptor from DVI -> mini DP. Therefore we can use earlier version of MB and MBP with the new LED cinema display. But still there is still a magsafe power cable, which will look ugly unconnected.

6. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

I'd take it in to the Apple store, return it, grab a 20" and pocket the $300.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For some weird reason, I feel like that's neglecting your parent's love and care.

8. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

I thought Apple was selling adapters for this? I know they are for mini-display port to other things, but I could've swore they were doin other things to display port as well. That makes me even more disappointed in Apple over the whole display port thing...

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. The 24" LED Cinema Display works with only three computers on the planet right now.

When the iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac Mini are updated, it'll be six.

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Sell 17", buy new 15" MBP?

11. gearkraft thread starter macrumors newbie

I just ended up taking it back, then going to costco and getting a similarly sized monitor. I got a slamming deal on a vizio monitor (26"). It was less than half the price, so my mom got back some of her money, and everything worked out.

http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=2466&pid=1508

thats the one I purchased... oh, and with some of the left over $$$ i ended up buying a few blu-ray movies too. Also what was funny is that the apple guy said he had heard a lot of people grumbling about the incompatibility with older hardware. Apple tried to do some slick all in one package, but it caters to a percentage of a percentage... absolutely ridiculous.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Glad it worked out, that's a nice monitor but keep in mind, yes, it cost half the price of Apple's display BUT the Vizio is not an LED monitor. Apple's pricing is very good in terms of getting a 24" LED monitor.

13. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Well that 26" is a TN panel w/o LEDs, I would of went for the new laptop, or just waited until they came out with an adapter..

14. gearkraft thread starter macrumors newbie

So you would have invested at least another 2000$ to make the monitor work? That's simply preposterous. I'm not going to wait for an adapter either... who knows how long that will take.

I'm happy with the vizio until I make a newer apple hardware purchase.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats on the Vizio; they make pretty nice monitors.

16. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Probably not that long and the adapters should be coming out very soon since Apple is giving the MDP spec away for free..

17. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Considering your position, I think you made the right choice. I myself got a 20" ACD. I know its overpriced but I had a $100 gift card, making it a little easier to swallow lol.

It might be a hassle to sell your 17" MBP and buy a new MBP and who knows when an adapter will be available. Plus, would an adapter allow you to take full advantage of the Display Port technology? Who knows?