1st gen MBP Installation disk disk Hell!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by William25, Mar 17, 2008.

1. William25 macrumors newbie

Ok,
    This is what happened. Lately safari has started randomly crashing on me and has not given me the opportunity to send a report. then mail started crashing then finder. I seriously felt like my mac was under attack from a hacker. I took it off the network and started an erase/instal of the os. disc 2 errors out part way through installing the iwork 06 demo. I turned off the laptop to let both of us cool down. So Im stuck any advise? the disk appears to be in good shape. Disc 1 did the same thing once and the second try worked.
    Thanks
    Will

update it got all the way through garage band then errored out again. retried and errored out at 14% of the iwork trial. Im going to throw it out the window

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

FIrst thing to do is shut everything down and start over. Start up the Mac (with the install disk inserted) and hold down the "C" key and allow the Mac to start up to the install screen. Make sure to do a full erase before installing. You can do this by choosing "Utilities-Disk Utility".
    Upon installation choose "Customization" and only install the base system of Leopard, uncheck the options for iLife and the excess languages and only check off the print drivers you will be using.

Now that you have Leopard installed then go ahead and attempt to install iLife separately. The idea right now is to get Leopard installed on the system. BTW make sure all disks are clean and free of scratches.

3. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Sounds like you might have a dying hard drive. Check it out for clicking and whatnot.

4. William25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Instal disk 1?

5. William25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I put in disk one

held C

Came to installation screen

preferences /options

Upgrade, archive, erase

I click the erase one right?

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, that's right so far. Just make sure to choose the customize option so you can uncheck iLife and other stuff and the second disk will not be required.

Yes, the options screen will allow for erase and install however when issues arise erasing in Disk Utility is most recommended but you should be fine.

7. William25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks,
    I caught the customization screen this time. I have a cdw extended warranty, do you think it could be the hard drive? I am 3 days away from the apple 1 year mark.

8. William25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Disk 1 errored out, trying again, this time Im going to try the upgrade option. Should it take forever to check my installation dvd?

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

This is why erasing and reinstalling as a first course of action is a bad idea. Now you're stuck with a machine that is completely unusable.

Restart and insert your install disk 1 while holding the "D" key. This will start the apple hardware test. Run the extended test and report back.

10. William25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, here is the error that poped up after about two seconds of testing

4MEM/1/40000000:

I believe it is the logic board test

11. William25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple care covers for year right? I have three days to the year. Plus after that I have a CDW 1 year hardware plan that kicks in. Will Apple fix it free of charge you think?

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wow, sorry things didn't work out so far. Yes Apple will cover you 100% until the last day of your warranty which is 1 year parts and labor. If you live near an Apple retail store take it there or an Apple authorized repair center. Also Apple will send you a box in the mail if you need to mail it back to them.

It definitely sounds like your HDD is faulty. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Applecare extended warranty especially on a notebook. Good luck, let us know how things work out.

13. William25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all your help. the Apple plan said it was outdated, I bought it on 3/19/07. Im afraid they are going to think this is a little suspicious. Oh well at least I have the CDW extended warranty

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Dude don't cheat yourself out of a deserving warranty. Your Mac has some issues and as long as you have the receipt that shows that your purchased it on the 19th then you still have 1 day left of your warranty and Apple HAS to acknowledge this, there's nothing for them to be suspicious about. That's fine that you have the CDW warranty but it will be a lot easier and faster if Apple takes care of it. All they are going to do is recommend that you buy Applecare when you speak to them about your issues.

15. William25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out hte error was coming from one of my two 1gig memory sticks :mad:. Apple did honor the warrenty but the memory was third party so I didnt send it in. I really am greatful for all the help you guys provided and just wanted to say thanks!
    Have a great day!
    William

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

Good to hear. Hardware failures are always a drag, but faulty memory sticks are pretty easy to deal with. Unless you've got a full bank in a Mac Pro that is...