1st Gen MBP Latch Doesn't "Pop" Open

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddeadserious, May 10, 2009.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

May 2006 2.0 Core Duo, First Gen MBP

The latch shuts properly, and it holds the lid shut properly.

It opens, but it doesn't "pop" open like it once used to. You have to pull up on lid when pushing the button to get it open. I mean, it's not a huge issue, and if you never knew it was supposed to pop, you probably wouldn't know.

It's just kind of irritating, any ideas? I've already tried cleaning everything latch related out.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

How strong are the hinges on the computer? Are they still holding the display up well?

3. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

You can tell they're 3 years old, but it doesn't have any problems holding up the display. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being in new shape, I'd say they're a 6 or so.

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

For some reason, it took some time to register...

The latch doesn't do the popping, it just releases the lid. The hinges "pop" it up, and thus, since the hinges are worn, it no longer pops.

So, short of replacing the hinges, are there any options to tighten them up?

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

OTOH, if the button doesn't release the screen fully, it won't pop up either. I bought a 2.33 mbp on cl for a good price recently, and found the same problem on it. Not having applecare on it, the applestore wanted to charge me $310 to fix the button release (which is what they diagnosed as the problem).

I decided I could live with it sticking for that money.