1st Gen MBP Trackpad replace with Multitouch Trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddeadserious, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I really enjoy multitouch, but my Macbook Pro 1,1 obviously doesn't have it. If I were to buy a trackpad/top case assembly from a MBP with multitouch, and put it on mine, would the multitouch features function correctly?

Aside from liking the whole multi-touch thing, I need to replace it due to one of the tabs that one of the side case screws screw into breaking from a drop, and that bracket appears to be attached to the trackpad assembly.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Any particular reason? Is the track pad ribbon different?

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I'm a little more interested in doing this now.

Looking to sell the laptop, and the fact that the track pad assembly is being held to the bottom case by packing tape is kind of ghetto and nobody wants it.

The only trackpad assemblies on eBay are for the core 2 duo models. Even if the multitouch won't work, with the assembly physically fit and work as mine does currently?

5. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Don't waste your time and money. You're better off selling your current mbp and get mbp that is multi-touch enabled. Either a refurb mbp or a new unibody mbp.

6. dickchow macrumors newbie

it can be done, been there before...

you will have to replace the whole top case assembly, transfer your old keyboard over...

straight bolt on, no modifications, multi-touch works...you can even modifies to recognize 4-fingers swipe...search the forum

7. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Evidently you didn't read my most recent post. I'm looking to sell this to buy a new unibody mb.

That's what I want to hear. Thanks!

What would I even search for this though?

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

So if your planning to buy a new MacBook, why are you interested in this?

9. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

So I can ask a decent price for this MBP, nobody wants a $1200 computer held together with packaging tape.

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

11. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Possibly, but if I can replace it with a multitouch one and have it work, all the better.

12. dickchow macrumors newbie

the ebay one won't work....

2 ways to identify the multi-touch top case...

1) the bluetooth antenna and module is on the top case (obviously the one in ebay don't even have the connector and the bluetooth slot); however, 2nd-4th gen would look identical anyways..

2) the multi-touch enabled top case, the underside of the trackpad, has one-two more IO chips than the non multi-touch

moreover, it is not possible just swap the touchpad since they held by metal weld....the whole top case is required to do the magic..

13. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Right! The one on ebay is a Core Duo one, and therefore not multitouch. I'm aware the trackpad can't just be swapped, I need the whole top case, as mine is damaged anyways. Thank you very much for your help, it is appreciated.