1st gen Nano... broken jack.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DieBeachballDie, Jan 31, 2015.

1. DieBeachballDie macrumors member

I assume this is the 1st gen Nano i have?

The VERY first run, the coveted black 4g Nano that was the Christmas craze that year. I've had this thing since then, used it probably 3-7 times a week, every week since then, and never once encountered a single issue that wasn't resolved by just plugging it back into the computer (froze on me maybe 2-3 times in total over the years). I take perfect care of this thing, hell, its still got the plastic film over the screen... and aside from maybe needing a bit more space (8g would more than suit my needs), its been great. Though i'll admit the battery doesn't hold a charge nearly as well as it used to (two days use... maybe a few hours and it needs a charge).

But alas, now its broken. Dont even know how, one day a month or so back, i stopped getting both speakers, and the problem is clearly a screwy headphone jack (same problem with different phones and in my car). I can wiggle it around on a good day and get it working right, but some days its one side, or maybe an awful mono from both (if i leave the plug hanging half out). It needs a new jack. I'm guessing someone dropped it when i wasn't looking... i dont even drop it.

Just looked it up on wiki and i cannot believe i've had this thing since 2005.

So... junk? Otherwise, it still works fine. Never had a battery replaced or ANY other issue. Do you even bother fixing something like this? Would it be cost effective? I see the new Nano is only $150 and 16g is far more than i need (i only put music on mine for driving or working out... no vids, cover art, pics, etc.). Kinda partial to the lil guy... but unless its far cheaper than $150... well, i'm also realistic (and poor).

2. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

Well, if it is a 1st gen Nano, then there is always the recall. Take advantage of that and get yourself refurb 7th gen.

3. MBPiPTiMiP4S macrumors member

MBPiPTiMiP4S

I thought that they were giving out 6th Gen Nanos for the recall?

4. DieBeachballDie thread starter macrumors member

After almost TEN YEARS... they're still going to give me a brand new iPod...???

5. mdehoogh macrumors member

They started sending out 7th gens a while back. Last one I sent in was probably a year ago and I got a 6th, but my brother sent one in a few months ago and got a silver 16gb 7th gen.

Technically, refurbished. I've sent in 3-4 over the last couple of years and every one I have received as a replacement has been mint condition with no marks or anything. They look brand new except they come in a brown box with foam instead of the flashy Apple packaging.

https://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

6. DieBeachballDie thread starter macrumors member

Huh...

Do i need original packaging or receipts (which i have) or anything? Do they care if i'm the guy that bought it? If not seems a guy could just look around for used 1st gen nano's and return them for new ones.

7. na1577 macrumors 6502a

You don't need anything but the iPod itself. In fact, Apple will still swap it even if the iPod doesn't turn on.

It's true: you could just buy a handful of nanos and trade them in... but the recall caused them to jump significantly in value. Instead of averaging between $30-$50, they now average around $100–the same price as a refurbished 7th gen nano.

8. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

No, you don't need packaging or receipts... just a 1st gen Nano. And, yes, people do just that.

I think Apple just wants them eradicated completely so they are rid of the liability.

9. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

i have the 1st gen iPod touch, but don't have a charger, because everything i have is lightning cabled :D

10. DieBeachballDie thread starter macrumors member

Crazy. Well i guess i just have to decide whether i want to get rid of the trusty lil guy and get a new one. That seems a pretty serious effort for a problem i've never heard of. Were these things blowing up in people's pockets or sports bras...???

11. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

12. 72andy72 macrumors newbie

I am the owner of a 1st gen Nano and opend the device once, allthough I didn't fix or replace anything inside.
    Will there be issues if I send it in for a replacement under this title?

13. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

As long as its in one piece... yes they will take it and replace it with a newer device. :)

14. DieBeachballDie thread starter macrumors member

Too good to be true, but by all means... lets test this out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Heh... and of course, tonight, for the first time in a month, i plug it in and get both speakers full stereo without any drama at all. Its like it knows...