1st Gen - Post 2.1 Draining Its Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Novataglio, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Novataglio macrumors newbie

I woke up this morning without my alarm. I look at my phone and its dead. Great. But how? I've never had the battery drain in a day before, usually it lasts me 2.5 days if I don't have anywhere to charge it.

I plug it in and once it starts up I notice something interesting.

Usage: 11 hours 23 minutes
    Standby: 7 hours 19 minutes

Some truths:
    I push email every 15 minutes, thats never caused an issue before.
    I talked on the phone yesterday a total of 9 minutes.
    I sent around 20 texts and received about the same.
    I browsed the internet a bit.
    I updated one app.
    I didn't play any music or accidentally leave it or anything else running.
    I certainly wasn't using my phone more than not in a 24 hour period.

Anyone else have this happen? Figure out why?

Thanks! :)

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Same thing happened to me after installing 2.1.

I left it with a full charge on my nightstand. No calls, no messages, no music playing, BT off, 3G off, LS off, no application sessions, no fetch, no push, lowest possible screen brightness... in short, it was prepped for the Guinness World Record for longest standby time ever on an iPhone.

Next morning battery was down to 50% and usage showed 10+ hours. It should have been 10 seconds max.

Apparently the issue is that applications draw power in the background, perhaps because they crashed on exit or got stuck in a loop. The workaround is to reboot the phone (just a quick off/on) to make sure that all applications are stopped.

Edit: Great tip from another thread -- hold down the home button for 10 seconds, this kills all running apps.

3. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I can't say that I have noticed a difference, but I have not had excellent battery performance either.

Hope others may be of more help.

Jude

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I used mine after the update as usual. No more that i ever do and my battery drained fast. I actually had to break down and buy a 30 dollar car charger because by 4:00 i had a 20% left warning.