1st gen reception downgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xploit, Aug 26, 2008.

1. xploit macrumors regular

My original was just exchanged for a new 1st gen due to the ear speaker failing. This was done on Saturday (8-23) and since I have had many dropped calls and fewer full strength reception. While I could attribute this to the new phone I am wondering if any 1st gen users have had similar issues with reception as of late.

One more thing, was there ever the ability to control the amount of time between the screen being on and when it goes black? I though you could before the software upgrade but I might be mistaken.

Thanks,

X-

2. eugarps macrumors newbie

The reception on my 1st gen. iPhone is so bad at my house a have to call folks back on my land line. I put the same SIM in my iPAQ 6945 and get 2-3 bars and in my RAZR and get 3-4 bars. I'm told it's the metal case that's the problem but I'm less than enthused about shelling out $200-$300 for a 3G only to find out that it's a general iPhone issue. :cool:

While I like my iPhone, I'm considering the Treo Pro. I've never had bad reception on any of my Treos. :)

Best,

Bill

3. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Reception has DECLINED on the classic. I used to get 3-4 bars IN MY House, now its down to one and I have had dropped calls in doors as well. Before 2.0.1 it was fine. APPLE has some major issues with iPhone software right now and its gonna catch up to them REAL Quick.

These threads and Apples are Packed to the Rim with problems and I am watching them disappear from the Apple forums. They pull them as fast as they pop up.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

My reception has declined as well. It was at it's best with the 2.0 firmware and at it's worst with the 1.1.4 firmware. It's been somewhere in the middle with 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 (but closer to 1.1.4).

I really hope that this issue is addressed. I really enjoyed having good reception at home with 2.0- I really thought that Apple turned a corner.

Here's hoping for improvements with 2.1

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

From regular screen to black (lock screen) it's Settings > General > Auto-Lock.

From lock screen to black, there is no way.

6. eugarps macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm back and the Treo Pro is awaiting an RMA, so I can return it. Don't get me wrong... the Treo Pro is a good phone but the screen's way too small for my 64 year old eyes. I had hopes but the 320x320 screen, while very sharp, had really small (and sharp) type. Yes I could have made it bigger but why bother. I'm going to check out the iPhone 3G tomorrow. I'm meeting with a friend who has one and I'll be able to do a side-by-side reception comparison.

Best,

Bill