Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meinlsync

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
In a few weeks I'm about to be connected up to a very high speed fiber connection. I've check personally with my neighbour and the speeds tend to be anywhere between 100mbps and 1000mbps. With this in mind I'm keen to make sure that none of my equipment is going to cripple my speeds. My house is fairly large and an extension means that a few of the walls used to be external (and therefore thick, also in UK so generally a sturdier house). I plan to get a new Airport Extreme as the router and run a cat 6 cable upstairs to another in bridge mode. I was planning to use an old 1st gen Time Capsule for this however I've read that its not even dual band. I guess my question is will the TC be up to the tob and if its not would the new airport Express be fast enough?

Thanks

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Get two Extremes as they have beam forming antennae array, just like modern cellular base stations. The second one extends the wifi network from the first one. I did that with a new Time Capsule and a new Extreme. Then you will also have the latest wifi spec when you have device (phone, iPad, Mac) that can use it.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
In a few weeks I'm about to be connected up to a very high speed fiber connection. I've check personally with my neighbour and the speeds tend to be anywhere between 100mbps and 1000mbps. With this in mind I'm keen to make sure that none of my equipment is going to cripple my speeds. My house is fairly large and an extension means that a few of the walls used to be external (and therefore thick, also in UK so generally a sturdier house). I plan to get a new Airport Extreme as the router and run a cat 6 cable upstairs to another in bridge mode. I was planning to use an old 1st gen Time Capsule for this however I've read that its not even dual band. I guess my question is will the TC be up to the tob and if its not would the new airport Express be fast enough?

Thanks

Give it a try with the new AEBS. If you're getting good coverage everywhere, great. If not, don't bother with your first-gen TC - as you say, won't even do dual-band. Get an Airport Express instead, or if you want .ac everywhere a 2nd new AEBS.

Meinlsync

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to get 2 N or .ac class routers from somewhere else. Really looking for something that is really fast on the 2.4GHz N band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.