1st Gen Time Capsule just Died... replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adversus, Jul 26, 2015.

1. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

My 1TB 1st Gen Time Capsule just went kaput. Solid amber on start up, can't factory reset it. Lasted 7 years without a hiccup, so that's good I suppose.

Need to start looking at replacements... In reality I need more than 1TB anyway. Anyone have a backup solution that works with Time Machine (network preferable as we have five Macs in the household)?

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would go for a new Time Capsule or a refurbished AirPort Extreme from Apple for $129 and any size USB hard drive. In the 6th generation, Apple introduced Time Machine for USB drives attached to the Extreme.

4. mic j macrumors 68030

I lost my TC to a power source failure a long time ago. Moved to a AEBS with external drive. That way if one unit fails, you don't have to replace both router and hard drive. Also, using an external drive, opens up a lot of size/cost options. This format has worked flawlessly for me for over 5 years.

5. adversus thread starter macrumors regular

adversus

I don't need the Router/Access Point features of Time Capsule anymore, it sits in the same room as my cable WiFi router. So really just need the backup functionality.

I have been looking at Synology enclosures. Though maybe I will look at the new AEBS and use it as an extender and just keep the USB drives attached wherever it happens to sit. Thanks for the tip!

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

On the plus side, the new AirPort Extreme maybe a bit of a better router than your existing router.