1st Gen to Second Gen warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XTÜch tHe gOdX, Feb 17, 2009.

1. XTÜch tHe gOdX macrumors newbie

XTÜch tHe gOdX

If i bought an ipod touch or iphone 1st generation and dropped it in water by "accident", would i get a new 2nd generation ipod touch or iphone?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No. You wouldn't get a new first generation one either. ;)

3. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

No you would not get anything. Water damage is not covered by Apple for anything, not ipod touch's or Iphones :(

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Just to clear the topic for you. Apple considers "dropped in water" as liquid damage and that voids your Apple warranty. As other posters indicated, you will get nothing from Apple if you take your iPhone or iPod Touch swimming.

Dave

5. XTÜch tHe gOdX thread starter macrumors newbie

XTÜch tHe gOdX

well, i can hope that my ipod breaks under "warranty covered" terms. Will i get a new ipod then????????

6. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Probably not. They dont do it for the iPhones dont see why they would for the iPods.

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It's better if you just sell your iPod or iPhone on E-Bay. I got $400 for my first gen iPhone.

8. iFerd macrumors 6502a

If you have a legitimate warranty issue that requires replacing your device, you will receive a refurbished unit of the same model. You can't get upgraded as the result of warranty issues.

(You've already been told that swimming isn't covered by the warranty.)

9. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

But to answer your question, If your iPod/iPhone does have a problem that is covered, and it does need replacement, under no circumstances, will you get a newer model, 2nd gen, anything. You will get your current model in a refurb.

10. XTÜch tHe gOdX thread starter macrumors newbie

XTÜch tHe gOdX

Well it was worth a try...Now i know not to do that

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Even if you had a legitimate problem with your iPod or iPhone that wasn't related to water damage, Apple would check the water sensor, and if it turned pink (I believe that is the color they look for), then they wouldn't even bother servicing your device, even for a completely different, unrelated problem. Once that sensor turns color your warranty is void.

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I've always been curious about that... Let's say you haven't committed any attempted fraud, but actually do have a legitimate warranty issue.

If you purchased the phone plus 2 years AppleCare warranty near the end of the current generation's production life, and the warranty related problem arises near the end of AppleCare's 2-year period - long after all of the current generation units have completed their travels through the supply chain.

Will Apple intentionally keep enough refurbished units in a warehouse somewhere to guarantee a replacement unit is available for every still-in-warranty unit out in the wild?

Or will they simply tell anybody who comes forward within their warranty period but after their supply of refurb units runs out, "Tough luck"?

I guess a 3rd option might be that they would take your iPhone, send it through the refurbishment process, and then send it back to you - effectively a repair job.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeas, for the reason you said

no

Doubtful that they would give you the same phone back.

on topic, the OP's continued use of quotes implies that this is not a case of pure accidental damage (If I "accidentally" drop it in water; I hope it breaks "under warranty" terms) If want to know how to dupe Apple into giving you a new phone at least be honest about it, and I can't even begin to fathom why you thin they would give you an iPod Touch as a replacement.

14. harry454 macrumors 6502

15. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, in the US you will not get the same device back but you will get a repaired device that someone else may have already broken in the same way as the OP.

There is a buffer of devices in the Apple supply chain but some times you may have to wait for to cycle through the process. For example; you go to the local Apple store to get a warrany unit swapped, they may have to request a unit and it may take a couple of days to arrive in the store.

Dave

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There has been a few cases where people got lucky and got replacements of a newer model if the current store was out of refurb 2G iphones.
    But thats not what usually happens with most.

17. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

They do keep older models stored away for things like this. I bought a 5.5gen iPod classic just before the aluminum (6th gen) models came out. It started screwing up just before the year's warranty was up (I had an iPod touch by then as well, but also used the classic as it had a larger capacity), which was around two years after that model was introduced (some two and a half to three if you consider the 5.5 to actually be nothing but the 5th gen) and, wouldn't you know it, Apple sends me a refurb (yet amazing condition) 5.5gen in return.
    They definitely keep some in stock.

I take it you're talking about a refurb? That's not really what happens. It's not essentially someone's repaired device. It's pretty much the still usable insides of old iPods (for example, if it was an iPod touch that had a perfect LCD but a screwed up Wi Fi receiver, they'll take the screen from that one and then get a perfect Wi Fi receiver from another returned iPod) that are put in a brand new outside. So if you get a refurb it could have the insides of numerous old iPods, but the front enclosure and the backplate (as well as the battery, I believe) are brand new...after all, it'd have to be if they need to give you a new serial number...

18. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

STOP TRYING TO GAME THE SYSTEM

We will not help you in trying to attempt something that is wrong, or illegal

-Thread reported