1st Gen Touch - Battery Finally Degrading

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stuart in Oz, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

I bought my first gen Touch the week they came out, back in October 2007 if I remember right.

I've finally noticed the battery life is shortening the last couple of weeks - especially when I play processor intensive games like Tetris. Music still gives me hours, but Tetris reduces a charge life to about 45 minutes.

I was just wondering what other 1st gen owner's experiences have been? Are your original batteries still going strong? Or have they already been replaced?

2. Pain macrumors regular

I have the crappiest iPod touch battery alive - with a combination of music, Facebook and some other applications, I'm usually charging it EVERY day, when I use it for a maximum of an hour and a half.

3. Drifte macrumors newbie

yea battery life seems pretty short on my 1g as well. Whats involved in getting a new battery? Send it in I guess?:(

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

aye, send it to Apple (or via an Apple store). i think a replacement battery costs around $80 (make sure it's no jailbroken too).

i bought my 1st gen Touch around september/october 2007, and been using it every day more or less ever since. dont yet notice the battery drop as i plug mine in for 7 or 8 hours a day on charge, but i'm sure expecting it.

anyone know how many charges Apple claim the batteries can take? i must surely be somewhere between 400-500.

5. Pain macrumors regular

6. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

2G is spose to have a better battery, but that's to compensate for the external speaker :(

7. muldul macrumors 6502

Mine is still around 20 hours of music and 3 and half of video, got it the week it came out

8. petes63 macrumors newbie

I am not sure if the battery itself is better in the 2nd gen. All I have heard from Apple just says "Improved battery life". This could mean that the device itself is more efficient, rather than the battery being better, or having a higher capacity.

The 2nd gen uses the same battery technology (lithium), so I expect that the life of the battery will be similar. I am sure this Apple webpage has been posted before:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

"A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles".

It applies to all iPods.