1st gen unibody physical click stopped working (but tracking works)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Draddy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Draddy macrumors regular

Hello All,

So I bought my unibody macbook the first weekend they came out.

It's been great till this point, however over the past month, the click stopped working.

it started off acting strange, then got to the point where only certain parts of the button would actually click, and now it doesn't register at all.

The button still works, it makes a sound when you press it, but the sensor doesn't register a click.

The tracking part of it works great, and I can tap click all day long, but physical clicking has died.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, is there a way to fix it? Is there a way to replace it? where would I buy the part?

Thanks!

2. revbarabbas macrumors regular

From what I've heard there is a screw on the underside of the trackpad that can screw up the clicking action...go to a genius bar or an apple authorized reseller and they can fix it for you...it's a proprietary screw so you can't do it yourself....it should be free under warranty.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If your under warrenty take it to the Apple store and they can fix it for ya!

4. Naad macrumors newbie

I had this issue with my girlfriends macbook, also bought the first weekend it came out. But this happened months ago. Took it to an Apple store, they replaced the entire body (nowadays they can also only replace the trackpad).
    Yours is still under warranty i guess, so take it there, they fix it.
    With my girlfriends macbook the trackpad wasn't the only thing that was bad, she's on her third screen by now haha. Had strange color marks in the screens.
    Good luck with it!

5. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

ugh, bought it in "late 2008" , so no warranty on it anymore.

Though this is the only thing that has gone wrong. I've been very happy with the computer.