1st gen vs series 1 Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 3:16, Jun 21, 2018.

1. 3:16 macrumors regular

3:16

is there any difference between both??

-: Speed difference

-: battery life

-: hardware difference

-: features?

Which one should i get?

2. nieks macrumors 6502

nieks

series 1 is quicker.
    series 1 and 0 have the same battery life, as far as i know.
    series 1 has a better processor, and is therefor faster in operations.
    the first gen (or "series 0") is the original and will not receive the WatchOS 5 update.

Why don't you look into series 2 or 3? They have GPS+GLONASS, and the series 3 even has LTE. They also have a brighter screen AND are waterproof. Series 0 and 1 do not have these features.

3. 3:16 thread starter macrumors regular

3:16

Thanks!
    I just need to track my steps i don’t need the extra features & I’m getting a pretty good deal on a first gen sport model (like $70) do you think it’s worth it?

4. Mrau macrumors newbie

Mrau

Just sold my series 0 (1st gen) watch on Swappa for $120. Best Buy was giving $63 for a trade-in on Series 0.
    So $70 seems like a pretty good price.

5. Relentless Power, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t. Are you even aware if the battery is still good or has it been tested? Series 1 is essentially the first Gen with an updated processor, I think it would provide a *better* experience and still receive WatchOS updates. You can find a used Series 1 for not much more than what you’re paying for a dated first Gen Watch.

6. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

Series 1 AW is significantly faster than Series 0. Simply put.

Battery life is better, animations are smoother.

7. nieks macrumors 6502

nieks

I wouldn't go for the first gen, even if it's only $70,-. It's just too slow (I am hearing this from friends as well who own a First gen) and it will not receive any more updates. I would strongly advise to go for a Series 1, with the better processor and the updates it will still receive.

(However, in my opinion, the best option is a series 2 or newer, for battery life, screen quality, processor power, and better tracking of steps and activity because with the workout app you'll be able to track distance precisely with gps. But it's up to you).

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

It's worth noting that S1 and S2 watches have the same processor power. S2 does have the brighter screen, GPS and water proofing though. Maybe some other stuff too which I forgot. :)