1st generation 12" MB - Service Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 212rikanmofo, Jun 13, 2016.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I'm not sure but I bought my 1st gen 12" Retina MB when it first came out, and now as of today I noticed that it says my battery needs servicing? Anyone else have this issue? I really would hate to have my battery replaced, it's been about a year of use and already having battery issues. Sigh.

I don't want to experience any downtime. Does anyone know how much it costs for them to service my battery and how long it will take? I hope they can do it the same day. I hope this issue wasn't caused by the recalled lightning cable that came with the early models. Because that's what I've been using.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If your under the year mark then it'll be free unless you have exceeded the cycle count.

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

I have about 323 cycles left and I'm out of the warranty period. :( Does anyone know how much it will cost and what the process of fixing this might be like?

I'm not sure what's wrong with my battery. Service battery means my battery is defective or what?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Take it into Apple and get them to have a look they will almost certainly replace it for free if it's only a year or so old,otherwise it's $199 for a battery replacement.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

6. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

so you had 677 cycles? What was your battery health at that time?
    I' ve heard about this free service if your battery health is under 80% after less than 1000 cycles but I don't know if this is only within the first year, which would mean almost 3 cycles a day. Sounds quite impossible to me.
    Otherwise I think there are a lot of rMB owners who will get a free service after some years because it looks like this rMB battery is not as good as other MacBooks batteries.
    I am at 85% after 281 cycles, 14 months old battery.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Where can I find the percentage?

8. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

apps like Coconut Battery or Battery Health.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No need for third part apps.

Hold the option key and click system information. Under the hardware section click power and the info you need is there. Yes little math is required but hey it's simple.

10. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

Does it give the battery health in percentage?
    Ofcourse you can figure it out yourself with the design capacity and the capacity right now but I find it more of a hassle compared to Coconut.

11. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

12. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

13. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I have the service alert on my mid 2010 MBP. This is my second battery which was replaced just as I was getting out of Apple Care. Coconut battery says I'm at 74.8% of design capacity. So it looks like I get roughly 3 years.

14. sdfd504 macrumors regular

Mine is 2015 first release model that I just had to send off for a new battery. 103 cycles and the service battery indicatior was on instead of it showing the batterycharge percentage. Ended up being below 70% with a 5-7 day turnaround time for the repair since they can't do them in store.

Mine was a month out of warranty but I had called apple care twice prior to the warranty expiring with complaints on my battery which helped me out with this repair. I can foresee a major recall on these batteries at somepoint soon.