1st Generation & 2nd Generation.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Blerrrrrrrrrrr, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Blerrrrrrrrrrr macrumors newbie

Can somebody tell me what the difference between a 1st generation ipod touch and the 2nd generation ipod touch is?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Speakers and external volume controls are on second gen

3. thienan macrumors newbie

The second gen touch is also slimmer, and the back is curved and reflective.

4. Blerrrrrrrrrrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Are they the only differences because i might get the 1st gen because i could get a 16gb for £150 ?

No differences in apps and stuff like that?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the newer one has a slightly faster processor and comes with 2.0 installed. the first gen does not i believe and costs an additional 10 bucks to get 2.0 software

as far as apps, they both can run them all in the app store

6. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

The new one also can use Nike+ and can accept a microphone

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Incorrect, the 2nd gen is actually 0.5mm thicker than the 1st gen.

Someone always says this every time a thread like this is made and I always seem to be the one to correct it...

8. KawaiKitten macrumors newbie

I think it really depends on how much you are willing to spend. They both have their good points. For example the 1st gen. can be jailbroken (which is a huge plus) and the 2nd gen. has external speakers and what not. It's all about what you like.:):)

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

all said, i dont think theres a compelling reason at all to upgrade from a 1st gen to 2 gen if thats any help trying to pick between the two

10. KawaiKitten macrumors newbie

Yep, basically. Unless you have to be one of those people to have the newest stuff. Because unless you are you might as well get the 1st generation. I'm one of those people, so I'm getting numero dos, but don't let that bother your choice. I just like to spend money.:):D:)

11. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

IMO Apple didn't put enough effort into the 2nd gen for me to "upgrade". Internal speaker will only drain the *improved battery* and I couldn't care less about the volume buttons. The only reason I would consider the 2nd gen is because of the processing power. The 2nd gen ipod touch has the fastest processor of all (ipod touch 1st gen, iphone, iphone 3g)

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Not really, it uses about the same as headphones for me.

13. ibridget macrumors newbie

I've been intrigued by this post. I went to amazon.com and looked at prices of the 1st generation and 2nd generation touches and for the same size. Would there be any reason aside from maybe the condition of the device that a 1st generation would be more expensive than a 2nd generation model?
    Forgive me I haven't wanted to jailbreak my device, (I don't want to throw my money away if something were to go wrong in the process) but what is the benefit of jailbreaking it when there already are so many useful apps out there?

14. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

1) That's how it's always been; newer generations cost less for a higher capacity. The cost of flash drives becomes cheaper and cheaper as they increase the available capacity, and as a result Apple has been able to cut prices for the new models. The 1st generation touch, in comparison with the newer 2nd generation model, has always been more expensive for a smaller amount of storage, and it appears that sellers don't seem to want to lower the price at all.

2) People tend to jailbreak now because it still has features not available in the official firmware (for example, Safari on a jailbroken iPod touch can now copy and paste). Jailbroken iPods can also have custom themes installed; something still not available in the official software.

15. ibridget macrumors newbie

Thanks! Didn't know all that :)

16. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Things the 2nd gen Touch has that the 1st gen doesn't:
    - external volume +/- buttons.
    - Built-in speaker.
    - Headphone jack also accepts 4 contact headset/mic.
    - Built-in wireless Nike connection.
    - Potential (small) for later bluetooth wireless connections
    - Potential for VOIP.
    - Different case profile meaning it doesn't fit cases made for 1st gen.

17. Roadking macrumors 6502

I got a kick out of that link. Nice job!

18. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Note that there is not just potential, many fully functional and free VoIP apps are in the App Store already.

19. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

LOL.
    That's so awesome!

20. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

i am DEFINATELY using that in the future.

21. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Not to thread-jack anything around here. But in the Sunday paper Best Buy sale flyer, they are selling the 1st Gen 16GB iPod Touches for $250, and the 2nd Gens are still $300... What would be the best course of action on this one for a person upgrading from a 5G Video?

22. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Maybe you should discuss this in a PM or start your own thread so this one doesn't get derailed.
    I'm open for PM's if you wish.

23. petes63 macrumors newbie

RE - Potential for VOIP.

This is not true. The Touch 1G with firmware 2.2 and standard setup (no mods) can now do VoIP. I have been making calls for a few days via a dock microphone (Macally ivoiceIII) using Fring and NimBuzz. Sure, you cannot use a mic in the heaphone jack but this isn't a problem. It's just fantastic that it works. I expect the other mic based applications that are locked to the 2G Touch to open up soon.

24. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it's not thinner its actually .5mm thicker

1st generation: 110×61.8×8 mm (4.3×2.4×0.31 in)

2nd generation: 110×61.8×8.5 mm (4.3×2.4×0.33 in)

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch