Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladybug106

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Hi all,
Hoping someone will be able to help me. I am currently using a 1st generation iMac, purchased 12/01. Recently, I have noticed that the display is getting dimmer, to the point that the screen was a dark brown this morning. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue, and how it was fixed. I did briefly speak with someone at the local Mac store, who seemed to think it was a bulb issue, but wasn't sure. Anyone have any experience with this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Kerry

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
If you get stuck with it you could always connect it to an external monitor.

EDIT: Is this a flat panel or CRT iMac? When you say 1st generation are you referring to the first generation of iMac like 233 MHz G3?

ladybug106

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The screen is now slightly lighter (I could probably use it), but still obviously on it's way out. :(
It is a 600 MHz CRT. Of course I purchased it not a month before the new flat panel iMac came out.
Any suggestions on a new unit? I am using my sister's iBook G4, and word when they will be churning out the iBook G5?
Thanks.
Kerry

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
ladybug106 said:
I am using my sister's iBook G4, and word when they will be churning out the iBook G5?
I'd say somewhere around 2010…

About the iMac problem, it sounds like the Power/Analogue Video Board has failed or the Flyback transformer on the PAV to be exact. The 600MHz should have the external monitor port on the rear, if you plug in an external monitor it should work fine. If an external monitor does work you can be fairly certain the PAV is the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.