1st Generation MacBook Pro Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rrm74001, Sep 30, 2014.

1. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

Is there a known issue with these batteries? It has a 2/5 star rating on the Apple website, so I can't be the only one with problems. It seems like they just stop working after a couple years.

[​IMG]

I am only 51 cycles in to this battery with 85% health, and it says "Replace Now". What?

[​IMG]

When I press the button on the battery, the lights do not come on. It does not charge at all. It just says "Not Charging - Replace Now". This is my third battery with this same problem. How does this happen? How is it so broken that it can't hold ANY charge?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

When the health slips below 85%, then you will see that the system will begin to report that the battery needs servicing.

Right now, the main issue is that the battery does not appear to be charging at all.
    Shutdown. Unplug the magsafe cable. Plug back in to the connector.
    The light on the connector should show green, then it should change to amber/orange, indicating charging. Does your LED change to amber? Let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Does the battery show ANY increase in charge?

Have you closely inspected both your magsafe adapter connector, and the internal magsafe connector for wear and foreign material? If it is the 2008 MBpro that you have posted about in the past, that connector can be quite worn by this time. Make that all 5 pins are secure and clean.

Have you tried a different magsafe adapter?

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Batteries don't last forever. It seems like you never used it much since the cycle count is so low.

4. illusionx macrumors 6502

The battery isn't supposed to drop below a certain capacity before it reached some cycle count. But, if you don't use it, it will obviously die on you.

I'm surprised it won't charge though. It must be something apple implemented on early MacBooks to only allow good batteries to be used.