1st Generation Macbook Pro external HD issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entw1cklung, Jul 22, 2010.

1. entw1cklung macrumors newbie

Hi guys, long time lurker.

Usually I'm able to solve issues like this myself, but I am a bit stumped. I have a 1st Gen Macbook Pro [ 2.33 GHz, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, 2006 build date, OSX 10.6.4] that is having issues utilizing any external that is connected via USB.

It used to happen less frequently but is now happening every time one is connected. It's not limited to one single USB port, it happens when plugged into both. Other Mac's, PC's and even my XBOX can read these devices - so the problem must be with my computer.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a quick fix or am I stuck having to reload the OS?

This computer has a logicboard that is about a year old. Most all of the internals were replaced under Apple Care when the computer cooked itself last in early 2009. That leads me to believe this may actually be OS related.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What happens when you plug in the hard drive? Is it not mounting?

3. entw1cklung thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's not mounting at all. And when I open Disk Utility, it's not even showing up.

I should add it is getting power.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you put your ear next to the external hard drive, can you hear if the hard drive is running when it is plugged into the MacBook Pro?

5. entw1cklung thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the drive is getting power and is cycling. However, it does not mount.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Ok, try booting from the Mac OS X install disk and opening the Disk Utility there. Does the external hard drive show up?