1st Generation MBP Killing Batteries!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaseerry, Dec 12, 2009.

1. chaseerry macrumors member

So two months ago I was fortunate enough to get a first generation Macbook Pro 1.83 GHz off of eBay. The only thing it needed was a new battery. No biggie.
    So I buy a new battery off of eBay for it. The second day I had the battery it started acting up. Dropping a drastic charge and the MacBook would shut off when it got around 30%, sometimes even higher. Also the "Service Battery" started showing up and the MagSafe LED would switch between green and amber.
    So I buy another battery from eBay, this time a little more expensive from a different seller. This battery does okay for about two weeks then starts it's stupidity. I lose 1% per minute with this battery and the MacBook shuts down when reaching 20-40% charge.
    And just last night I noticed the battery is starting to inflate! I took it out and put the other bad battery in it for now - just running off of wall power.

Now does this seem like I have gotten unlucky with TWO batteries or could there be something seriously wrong causing this?
    I am running the latest Snow Leopard OS.

Let me know what you guys think.

2. TheHareBear macrumors member

Mine likes to eat batteries too. It has had two official replacements from Apple but I bought the 3rd (genuine part) myself when they wouldn't replace it. It averages about 1 per year. I haven't had a swollen cell, it sounds like the battery was properly wrong rather than the MBP killing it.
    My theory is that the 1st gen MBP laptops run too hot for the batteries liking.

Andy

3. chaseerry thread starter macrumors member

They do run hot. If it's worth mentioning - last week I replaced the right CPU fan. The next morning the left fan went out!

Crazy. I think this thing is cursed. I'm not sure whether I should sell it while it runs or keep trying to fix it?

4. chaseerry thread starter macrumors member

Is it possible for the power supply to be overcharging these batteries?