1st generation, version 2.2.1. what now ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lamberink50339, Apr 4, 2010.

1. lamberink50339 macrumors newbie

this is my first post ever, just sayin.

i recieved an Ipod touch from a friend about a year ago. since i got it, its never been updated. i've never gotten an itunes account. (i used a friends to download a few free aps) but i'm finding that i essentially cant do anything but have music on it. i would like to make an account, but i dont have a credit card and my dad wont let me use his number. D: ontop of that, the newest update itunes is telling me about is 3.1, and it says it only works for second generation ipods? but mines first. from the start, what do i do? i guess i first need an account, but is there any way to avoid the credit card number?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I think you can skip putting in the credit card number. What you really need is an Apple ID. This becomes your iTunes account and your account for anything else you do with Apple. I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you create your Apple ID in a different way (like registering for the free developer account) you don't have to give them a credit card number.

I don't know if the 1st Gen Touch can do OS 3 or not, but I think it can. Either way, though, it's a paid upgrade to go from 2 to 3.

3. androiphone macrumors 65816

if you buy any free app then there is an option not to input a credit card. and then just use a gift card for funds (which is a better option as if it ever gets hacked like you read you can only ever loose the money from the gift card (say £15) as opposed to the skyhigh limits on some credit cards)

also the 1st gen is fine with OS 3

4. lamberink50339 thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i get an account of apple ID, i just buy the latest upgrade and thats all? by getting the free developer account can i still buy upgrades somehow? (i would probs use a giftcard) ?

added: i made an apple ID by going on the apple site, it asked for like.. mailing info and my name and whatnot, but nothing for a credit card number. so voila, i have an apple ID. i couldnt log out of the my friends though on my ipod, so i researched that and just resynced my ipod after signing in on itunes through my computer with the ID i just made. but now, i'm trying to install a free update to some app i dont care about to test and see if my account is working. and it says 'authorizated failed please connect to itunes'. whaaat. ?

added again !: bah. wasnt actually connected to the itunes store. so i have to make a store account now, where i cant seem to by pass use of a credit card. so i know the problem now. i just dont know how to make it this 'free developer' account. D:

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You're going to have to erase the iPod.

I assume you can log into the Store using the Apple ID you made?

6. lamberink50339 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't log into the store because its asking for a credit card number which I dont have, in order to make a store account? But I might be able to solve that problem. What would erasing my iPod help with? And wouldnt that mean all my music and everything thats on it would be gone? D:

7. Here be Chaos macrumors newbie

It is possible to skip through the bit you got to fill in credit card details. Done it myself aswell, but I just can't remember how :p Probably just click next or something..

8. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

I'm going to assume you're probably fromt the US, but if by chance you're in Canada like us suckers you need to keep in mind that you cannot purchase apps with iTunes gift cards; you must have a credit card number on your account. However, I have heard that those VISA/MasterCard gift cards work for that, though I've never tested it myself.

9. lamberink50339 thread starter macrumors newbie

pfft, i'm a sucker. i live in canada. im in the process of convincing my father that i should be allowed to use his credit card number for this. :] but, if i by pass needing the number, would i still be able to purchase updates and use another way to pay? am i able to add the credit card number later? for now i'll check out the link, i'll probably find half the answers. :p thanks guys !